spa/ posh hotel with coarse fishing

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm after a one or two night get-away with the missus, so looking for a decent hotel (maybe with a spa?) with coarse fishing on-site... they seem quite rare, especially given that I don't want to travel too much (an hour or possibly two) from home, very near Oxford.

Anyone know of any that fit the bill? I'm sure I remember seeing something on a thread on the old site about this but I never noted it down.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Chewton Glen

You could take a look at: http://www.chewtonglen.com/

Although there is no on-site fishing you are in the New forest, so there is plenty of fishing in the close area, Broadlands Lakes, Hampshire Avon etc.

The hotel is really lovely, although not inexpensive, and the restaurant is excellent, and the spa is every Lady's dream, or so my (then) partner told me.

Alternatively, try the Botleigh Grange Hotel, not quite the same high standard as the Chewton Glen but nonetheless very good, but there they charge extra for the Spa (if memory serves me correctly) and you are pretty close to some good fishing too.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
thanks Peter..... you would think that with the number of these hotels that are converted old estate homes, there would be plenty of estate-lake style fishing, but it seems we coarse fishermen aren't considered a viable proposition (changes a bit for fly fishing....)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jim,

Too true, there are no end of excellent quality hotels in the South that cater for the Fly Fisherman and his Lady, but sadly we Coarse anglers are poorly served in that area.

I've been to Chewton Glen a few times for some of their courses, and once for a history lecture, plus once or twice with female friends for dinner and a relaxing weekend.

It is a pity that Sway Lakes are now a syndicate as the Chewton Glen is only a few miles away from Sway Lakes.

Such is life I suppose.

Specihunter

Reaction score
not sure about a spa but the bull in fairford would be worth a look they own the colne that runs behind it.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Thanks folks.

I think I may just have to go for somewhere nice that's close to a fishery (closer the better!)

cheers for the replies