Something needs to be done!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkopec

Reaction score
Well i just read the angling times story about the shop owner who says he's defending our sport by not serving imigrants, I cant believe that people like this stoop so low as to play on peoples fear's of a real problem just for a bit of free publicity!!! Believe me when i say the shop is one of the poorest i've ever visited, The owner who is known to most locals as a REFORMED criminal is known for his regular stunts in the local paper. Im really shocked that his close friend gary liegh has put his name in to this hairbrain idea for publicity!!! As a local fisherman in the area i can assure you that there isnt a big problem in the area compared to most places i visit around the country. People like this need exposing as the selfish scaremongering chaps they are!! And then you have people like nevile fickling praising him without even knowing whats really going on!!!!

Rant over i'm going fishin to relax now!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thing is it's his shop so surely it's up to him who he serves. He must have good reason for doing it as at the end of the day it's him loosing money.

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Legally, he's on very dodgy ground. Possibly the pulicity outweighs the risks for him. Wasn't there a fishery owner who did the same stunt published in the rags recently?

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
Thing is it's his shop so surely it's up to him who he serves.

Not under a Labour government it isn't!

Can't bar people on grounds of race. Unless you're an Indian/Chinese takeaway owner needing staff of course!

supersquirrel

Reaction score
I personally live in an area where this is a major problem. The river Welland running through Spalding/Deeping is under constant threat from Eastern Europeans taking fish for the plate.

I also work with alot of these immigrants and Im sure some people are going to slate me and label me a racist which, Im not( Mrs is South African ;)). But these people dont give a flying **** about British values and Customs. Ive had many heated arguments at work about this topic with them, and they are well aware of the way English people feel about this. The saying " When in Rome" comes to mind. Its a major issue and the laws need to be put into place and made aware to everyone, with large penalties put into place. Hit them where it hurts....their pockets. And if that doesnt work then a bit of time wouldnt go a miss. If my local tackleshops took the stance that the guy in AT did then Id support them 100%.

preston96

Reaction score
I was fishing on the Warwicks Avon a week back when during the evening a fella not of this country came to chat to me, at first he was a litle "shy"....i use that word rather than aloof because he wasn't aloof!

Anyway, i get straight to the point and ask him where he is from, Poland, says he, do you take your catch home to eat i asked.....now the chap wasn't rude but he told me in no uncertain terms that fishing was his hobby and he took on the British ways with relish...eg, he returned all he caught.

We chatted more and he took out his mobile and presented me with his "trophy" shots of some very nice fish (mainly lure caught)....all were very alive loking and no different from any of our shots.

My point is that if i disagree with someones ways i have to put up or, if i believe i am right, try to convince others of that.......if we label all "imigrant" anglers the same we will alienate the knowledgeable amonst them, it is the "knowledgeable amongst them that will spread the word of our angling ways far faster than we ever can.

I bumped into the Polish fella later at our cars as we were both packing up and we shook hands untill we met again.........but not before her told me a water i used to pike fish and had many big fish from was now turning up some very big perch.........anglers are a world wide clan and we can all offer something........IF allowed to!

I'm not saying i agree with everything that is going on with regard to opening up our shores to all and sundrie....but i do know that there are good, bad, and simply the uneducated in all races.

supersquirrel

Reaction score
Very nice story Paul. My rant wasnt at all Of the Eastern Europeans, as there are always exceptions. But the guys I speak to at work laugh when I talk about catch and release and cant understand the point in fishing for sport.

And with signs going up in the relevant languages, whats the excuse. Last Christmas I saw the fish stand in Asda covered in Mirror Carp. Now this is the Polish traditional Christmas dinner. I was shocked to say the least, isnt this like having beef on the counter in a Hindu country or asking for a sausage in a Muslim butcher. Its just starting to get on my tits a bit. I dont mind having foreign people in my country, but it seriously ****s me off when they make a mockery of our system and values :mad:

Chris Season32

Reaction score
A big fish lake owned by NW Water (Borough Council run) near me has been decimated by poaching. There's a firm employing 100+ migrant workers down the road. Its no coincidence. There's a new bunch of longlines in every week, club members have caught them night trawling with strings of trebles and a weight. It may be a minority but its enough to destroy the stocks of big carp and bream in there. and its a large water.

IMO the police need to treat reports of poaching the same as any theft incident if this minority are to be discouraged, and that needs a change in EA licence terms. Court fines should include a sum per fish towards loss of revenue and also re-stocking costs. :mad:

The bad one

Reaction score
Well i just read the angling times story about the shop owner who says he's defending our sport by not serving imigrants, I cant believe that people like this stoop so low as to play on peoples fear's of a real problem just for a bit of free publicity!!! Believe me when i say the shop is one of the poorest i've ever visited, The owner who is known to most locals as a REFORMED criminal is known for his regular stunts in the local paper. Im really shocked that his close friend gary liegh has put his name in to this hairbrain idea for publicity!!! As a local fisherman in the area i can assure you that there isnt a big problem in the area compared to most places i visit around the country. People like this need exposing as the selfish scaremongering chaps they are!! And then you have people like nevile fickling praising him without even knowing whats really going on!!!!

Rant over i'm going fishin to relax now!

Something should be done and here's where you do it

http://www.environment-agency.gov.u...b_Fish_Removal_Byelaws_eng_(Eng_logo)_(3).pdf

quattro

Reaction score
To my mind it's quite clear. If the fish are taken from a private water, whether it's for the table or any other reason, it's stealing, no ifs, no buts, and should be dealt with as a criminal offence, as with any other theft.
I understand that taking fish from rivers may not be so clear cut.
As to the ethnic aspect, there seems to be quite a bit of "cicumstantial" evidence and hearsay, but let's not be blinded by political correctness, and ignore the "bleeding obvious":rolleyes:

bkopec

Reaction score
Wow this is typical!!! just what the guy wanted!! I agree there is a problem with illegal fishing(sometimes imigrants sometimes english) but this guy is using it to get free publicity for his crumy shop! there is a much better shop 120 yards away and he isnt doin much trade but he hasnt resorted to snide little tricks(like using a very real problem in some places(not in his area!) to gain abit of free publicity!! have any of you read the article in a.t ? have any of you read my post properly? He knows we all want somethig doin about poaching he's just using our fears for his gain!!! :mad:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You started it, so encouraging comment, if you didn't want to give him more publicity,you shouldn't have posted on this site, it may well have faded away.
We've read it, he's intitled to do it, do you work for the other tackle shop?

Last edited:

preston96

Reaction score
The last part of the staement in Cakeys link is very significant in my opinion.....in the areas i know it has been a very small number of fish thieves who are causing the problem......usually labeled, rightly or wrongly as Polish.

My point in my tale was that if we alienate all of them our task to stop fish thefts will be a much harder one........educate from within has to be the best plan?

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
How can you expect anything to be done?

If the police won't even bother to turn up at, or prosecute, shoplifting offences unless the value of the goods stolen is over £100 then surely they won't be bothered to turn up for something so trivial (to them) as some fish being taken ,will they?

strut5a

Reaction score
Maybe that may offend some of our sensibilities, but they are perfectly legal and bred for the table.

Janet

Very true, we all seem to forget that carp were brought into this country as a food source and that mirror carp were bred in order to make them easier to prepare for the table.

Cakey

Reaction score
yeah but if you own them ,paid for out of your pocket ,you dont want them nicked.....dont matter who by

strut5a

Reaction score
Again very true,however in the majority of countries in the world and not just Eastern Europe people fish for the table and not sport. Changing attitudes will not come overnight and whist I do not condone theft by anyone, a lot of fish are stolen by British anglers either to sell or to transfer to other waters.
Talking about attitudes, I wonder why the poacher who knocks the odd salmon on the head for the table is looked on as a romantic figure (as long as he's not an immigrant)

Status
Not open for further replies.