Angling is the new yoga

F

Fred Bonney

In todays Sunday Times Magazine an article with some reference to Waterlog.
Apparently, according to Rodney Coldron of the NFA, the 10% increase in their membership over the last two years is due to 'the uptake among women and young professionals.People are beginning to pick up on the theraputic effects of fishing'
'Fishing is perceived as a lifestyle sport and is enjoying a rejuvinated status'says Charles Jardine,a fly fishing expert and author,'our lives are becoming ever more frantic.The need to be quiet when you are fishing calms the mind.You can reach an almost meditative state'
Gordon Ramsey,chef,'for relaxation,it beats yoga 10 times over'
Ward-Allen of Waterlog say's 'we've come a long way from the image of an old bloke in green waders with a box of maggots'
What do you old boys and girls think?

F

Fred Bonney

I have to admit to sometimes being so laid back that I almost fall off my seat,but that could be the Abbot Ale.

D

Dave O'L

You beat me to it Fred! I just read it.
I thought it a little humerous when it said Mr Ward-Allen started Waterlog "because he was fed up with the general perception of angling as an old-fashioned, nerdy pastime". Much as I like Waterlog......?????

It's the 1st time in my life that I can say I'm trendy. Mind you I don't read the 'Sporting Life' whilst waiting for a bite.

Mind you I thought it quite a good article from a +ve publicity perspective.

D

Dave O'L

<a href=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2104-306424,00.html?gavalidate>article</a>

I really hope. It's been a long time since C.A.'s lesson!

D

Dave O'L

Yes - it works for me!
By the way it may not work for anyone else cos you need a password, but I may have got round that?????

F

Fred Bonney

I thought you read Sporting Life whilst sitting on the bog....no wonder I can't beat the bookies!

D

Dave O'L

Some old mates of mine used to keep back copies of all the juciest 'News of the Screws' stories in the bog. It was a nightmare as you would find yourself drawn to reading them - & then find you couldn't stand up cos your legs had gone.
(Because of sitting there too long Paul!)

Ooops - off at a tangent!!
So are we trendy or not?

C

Craig Smith

Yoga!! How does a snapped no 5 section become relaxing! Yesterdays exploits! and when you get home and find it costing ?70!

C

Chris Bishop

I could go along with it. I can get so immersed in my favourite methods - trotting rivers and drifter fishing.

Your whole world's wrapped up in that speck of orange for a few hours.

One thing that always gets me is how every now and then you know, via some sixth-sense, that you're about to get a fish.

C

Chris Betts

My partner does a lot of Yoga. She got a book called yoga for sex. I am still trying to get my left foot from behind my right ear. I think fishing is a lot better than yoga, I don't ache afterwards, even with kit that ways about 200lbs on my back.