Bait Boats - A detriment?

njb51

Reaction score
Got back yesterday from a 48 hour session at a regular carp water myself and my mate fish. The only fish we had between us was a 5lb common carp.

Now, this lake isn't exactly huge, no more than 5 acres i'd say, but in the middle is an island, reachable from all swims with a moderate chuck of no more than 40 yards i'd say. We can see the carp moving in the reeds of this island and splashing under overhanging trees etc. We try casting to the island with a pva bag to try and reduce tangles and the chance of the hook getting snagged up, but we can never quite get close enough.

This is where the bait boats comes in to play. EVERY other angler on the lake was using a baitboat to get their baits right under the over hanging trees and into gaps in the reeds. They can place their baits in the same place every time and get it amongst the feeding fish without causing any disturbance and risk spooking the fish. EVERY angler with a bait boat, caught at least 1 carp; sometimes within minutes of getting the bait in.

My question then, is Are these anglers that are using bait boats, causing problems for those without them by keeping the fish in these reeds close to the island where they are used to being able to feed without having to move far?

Or am I just looking for another excuse!? :rolleyes::)

preston96

Reaction score
There is a place for everything constructive in fishing, and without a doubt a bait boat can be a useful thing..........but on a 5 acre lake?

I simply would not fish there.

Last edited:

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I love bait boats....

You're just making excuses Jonny (my winkies don't work!)

Surely you can drop it one yard short and the lazy buggers will swim out that extra yard?

Is spodding allowed? 65lb braid and you'll pull out of the trees and reeds, clip it up when you hit the spot.

You never know, you might nab yourself a bait boat too ;-)

sergioge

Reaction score
Hi mate,bait boats are a very useful thing to have ive used mine on many a lake and even the river to get my bait out to difficult spots but i really dont see the need for them on a 5 acre lake where its quite easy to cast to anywhere,you really dont have to get your bait right into the reeds or right under the trees the fish will move.tight lines.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
It's a personal choice i suppose, if using a bait boat gives you confidence in how you're fishing then what harm can they do.
Personally for myself, if i can't cast to a fish then i'm either fishing the wrong lake or the wrong swim.
Casting to the fish in my opinion will aid your accuracy and help you on waters were bait boats are banned.
Most Carp anglers with the right rods and reels can cast 100 yards +, and if you can't catch a fish within a radius of 100 yards of where you are fishing, then there either ain't no carp there, or, you ain't fishing in the right area.

Tight Lines

Cakey

Reaction score
look at it a green way
99% of anglers would leave a rig in the over hanging bushes

Marker

Reaction score
surely its better in that situation to use a boat and be safe rather than have all kinds of line, rigs, leads etc hanging from the trees:confused:;)

Marker

Reaction score
even a skilled caster can leave a rig hanging in a tree;) safety comes first no matter how good you are at casting;):D

Cakey

Reaction score
unfortunately Marker the are several topics on here where we are not allowed an opinion and what certain people says go and they are to blinkered to listen
baitboats is one of them

Marker

Reaction score
nothing new there then cakey, theres a few victor meldrews on every fishing forum;):D

Cakey

Reaction score
when some one shows me that they walk 20 miles to a lake or river (and dont use a tool called a car) and fishes with a cane, cotton and bent pin,dont use bite alarms and dont use any modern methods then I will sell my baitboat !

Chris Frankish 2

Reaction score
i will use a diabolical baitboat, but only in extenuating circumstances when fishing the mushroom swim.

If I could post up a line of smiley faces to show my appreciation of your cunning wordsmithery I would. As I can't I'll have to just say simply.... like it!