'Problems' on the Thames below Oxford to Wallingford area.

A

alan whittington

Im trying to get some sort of feedback on how others have started in this area of the Thames,there has been a little chat on the 'river reports' section on site but the 'general fishing' side gets a larger audience i think,my start has been very poor,which when you see a steady flow,unlike last summer,i would have expected slightly better returns,im hopeful in a few weeks time it will improve,but what do you say?

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Ditto to James.... it's been absolutely pants at Abingdon since the season started. I'm lucky that i live five minutes away, so I spend a bit of time walking the banks too, always chat to any anglers I see that seem happy to talk, all seem to be doing terribly, most-discussed subject tends to be the bream (or lack of them) that typically make up the decent catches at this time of year.

A

alan whittington

Absolutely Jim there seems to be no bream and i havnt seen one roll this season as yet,i mean the chub usually kick off in earnest in september,but normally any boilie,pellet,bread,maggot,caster or worm would be eaten with gusto almost anywhere,but not at the moment,have the e/europeans trawled the river?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
At the start of the season I mentioned the general slow start and in part I was referring to what happened to me in 1986 when I spent a week on the Thames in late June going from Maidenhead to Oxford and back. It was a real struggle and we could only catch at dawn and dusk. Recently I was in Oxford and looked at the Thanes in places where I'd expect to see plenty of fish and saw only fry. It will pick up eventually. The Thames has a history of 'moody' years.

A

alan whittington

Probably right Ed but its been struggling through a bit for the last few seasons but not as bad as this start,the big shoals of bream havnt gone overnight(unless trawled),so i take it they are sitting up in the water with their mouths firmly shut.

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
or maybe still on the spawning grounds?

I'm praying for a decent bit of rain to put some colour and flow back in

A

alan whittington

I wouldnt have thought their still on the spawning grounds Jim as the weather and river conditions were good May-June time and that adventure should be well over with,i tried running through with my smartcast(bought for easy depth finding)but found very few fish registering on it in a pretty good swim.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I just mentioned spawning grounds because the river seems so devoid of flow that the fish might just be hanging round the spawning grounds which might have a bit more flow and oxygen?

That said I'm no biologist! Just another fed-up fisherman who can't catch a cold at the moment on his favourite venue....

A

alan whittington

Im going tomorrow blank or not,sitting by the river is better than a week at work,sod the fish if they wont eat i will.

You and me both Jim by the way.

Last edited:

Specihunter

Reaction score
I hate this ,do i fish a club lake or their stretch of the cherwell or do I go for the thames.

A

alan whittington

Its certainly not a concience thing Speci,i go onto the rivers because thats where i want to be,but there is nothing wrong with a bit of quality crucian,tench or bream fishing,enjoy mate.:) who keeps shuffling these smilies:D

Specihunter

Reaction score
then keith arthur then says the big rivers should be flowing well so as there lake is not to far from the thames I will have a look and then make my mind up from that then on my way home see how the cherwell is flowing.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
How did you get on Speci? Lake or river??

My mate had a 4lb chub on the thames at goring on friday night, the first decent fish either either of us has caught since the start of the season. Is this the start of our luck (and results!) changing?

Specihunter

Reaction score
Went on the lake had 3 tench , then had a walk by the thames and glad i did still no flowing well, also got told that lechlade is silted. Roll on autumn