Red Letter Day in France

P

Paul Williams

Nice recce trip mate!!!! For those of you who don't no Rik his passion knows no bounds! he travels up from Hampshire to have a few hours on the lower Severn with us, if he where ever rich enough to buy a plane the mind boggles!!!!!

P

Philip Inzani

If he did win the lottery I think his first purchase would be a bivvy with a higher lip at the front (I know mine would be!)
...next time you see him ask him about the rat we saw..or as Rik put it "thats not a Rat, thats a Labrador!!!"

C

Carp Angler

That is one species I'm glad became extinct in this country.....

Anyone wondering, it was a coypu.
Or in laymans terms "a bloody big rat"

N

Neil Wayte

I always thought a coypu was the noise the wife made when I'm making bait.

P

Philip Inzani

Rik, is your email connection working ?

Sent you a mail a while back...did you get it ?

C

Carp Angler

Should be, try sending again, I get between 75 and 100 mails a day at home, couple that with the same number at work and I'm a bit of a busy bunny.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
so tell me about the salty maize mate, why and how to prepare! (ready for cakeys line: err.. just add salt here)

C

Carp Angler

Seriously,
Instaed of adding sugar (or molasses) to the water at the soaking stage, add salt instead.

C

Carp Angler

because my results show that the carp have a penchant for salty baits in cold water and sweet baits in warmer water.

Soy sauce is another good additive, it's got flavour and a high sodium content.

Salt is added to a lot of baits, especially groundbaits, because it is a known attractant.

S

Stuart Bullard

Salt!?!?!

Mind you, wasn't there a time years ago when people started fishing with chips soaked in salt and vinegar? I remember reading about it but cannot remember why and how they got into it.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I remember that, wasn't it somebody in a houseboat on the Thames who found out they were a good bait for barbel after several weeks of throwing leftover chips into the river?

S

Stuart Bullard

Thats it Graham, I remember. It was actually where a local chippy was near the river and people used to bung in left overs. A guy who was fishing there ran out of bait so tried a left over chip that was lying in a bag of left overs (I hate litter louts).

Cant see myself preparing chips the night before a session though!

D

Dave Rothery

no different to rolling baits-cheaper and quicker as well! taste better than my current bait.....

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
you got a bait with currents then dave? no wonder mate, you might wanna change that!

D

Dave Rothery

never blank with current baits - electro fishings much more productive than sitting behind the rods!