Chavs vs Aces Annual Match

Aces Vs Chavs Match at Gold Valley or Elsewhere?

• Gold Valley

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Elsewhere

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Why is there no Aces v Chavs match organised this year I wonder, I did mention it to GM last week who said he would get in touch with Neil and I PM'd Neil as well but not a whisper yet. Is it too late to organise one for this year I am wondering because we don't really want to be fishing in the winter do we, well not me anyway?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Why is there no Aces v Chavs match organised this year I wonder, I did mention it to GM last week who said he would get in touch with Neil and I PM'd Neil as well but not a whisper yet. Is it too late to organise one for this year I am wondering because we don't really want to be fishing in the winter do we, well not me anyway?

I'm still here, just! Intermittent PC problems are very frustrating but instead of sorting them out I've been fishing ;)

Anyway, if there's demand and interest I'll happily set up the 4th incarnation for sometime in October.

HOWEVER!

I understand John and Will Raison have added "a bit of spice" to the venue which may affect the sensibilities of some of the combatants - namely BARBEL. They've been/will be introduced - I believe into Middle Lake - also chub and catfish are/were on the intended list. Now, I've not fished it since the last event 9 months ago, so do not have first hand up to date info but will make enquiries.

In any event, I'm sure other venues could be very suitable for our usual format (Silvers & Carp) and perhaps a more central venue might attract a bigger turnout?

Regardless of venue, I will very happily take on the vast majority of the organisation and of course pick up the trophy for the 3rd year running :p

Thoughts on staying at GV or moving elsewhere???

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Different Venue

Given their decision to stock Barbel and Chub into the stillwaters of Gold Valley, then personally I'd prefer a different venue.

Willow Park might be an alternative, but then maybe they too have taken the same decision. (same owners?)

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
This venue looks ideal, but, they too stock barbel!

:eek:

I think we need to realise that every commercial in the country is going to do just that sooner or later. Closely followed by every club water that caters for pleasure and match anglers.

Let's try not to make the stillwater barbel thing an issue for it's already a hard enough job to organise these events without adding further restrictions.

(If anyone wants to start yet another stillwater barbel debate then please start another thread in the barbel section).

Clattercote has been suggested and I'm happy with that venue if that suits everyone.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Let's give it a couple of days for more fishery suggestions to come in and then I'll start a poll where we can vote for our choice of venue.

Reaction score
Cudmore - you know the way - Junction 15 M6 - minimal driving for you!

Rudyard Lake a bit too far North, Graham? - you wouldn't have to drive far then! (And a most "natural venue".....I'll tell Corkers it's a "naturist" venue though)

Border Fisheries Crewe - just off the M6 (J16)- would need to see if Bay Malton would rent a water on the venue - and you wouldn't have to drive far then!!

(Actually Edgeley Park Reservoirs, Stockport.....then I could walk to the venue and rent out rooms at "reasonable rates"....Slime and Clarke could share a bivvy again....in my neighbours back garden!...and you wouldn't have to drive very far then...and you could stay at Spiders!!)

Poshers

Last edited:

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Because they've stocked it with barbel. Personally I don't think we should make an issue out of the fact that any of the proposed choices of fishery for the event are stocked with barbel.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Because they've stocked it with barbel. Personally I don't think we should make an issue out of the fact that any of the proposed choices of fishery for the event are stocked with barbel.

Graham,

I simply stated a preference not to fish a stillwater venue that has been stocked with river fish, that's all.

If the majority want to fish GV then its not that much of a problem to me.

As to this being the future of stillwater angling then its a very sorry state of affairs in my humble opinion.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Peter, what fish do you catch in a pool that aren't also in a river, come on mate you are a sensible thinking angler you shouldn't be dismissing venues on that basis.

There is nowt wrong with barbel being stocked in the match lakes they are just an addition and they thrive no problem. We can't go picking venues on the basis of what fish are in there otherwise we will be bound to upset some people.

If you don't like putting barbel in the keepnet then the answer is to release them after unhooking but I think anglers should see just how fit and healthy these match barbel are before dismissing them on some moral grounds. I know because I have caught them and they were in absolutely prime condition and they rarely grow to more than 4lb but everage around the 2 to 3lb mark so they are an obvious choice for a match fishery as are chub.

Calverton are quite happy for their barbel to be placed in match fisheries and their studies have shown that they come to no harm whatsoever in stillwater and neither do they dismiss the possibility that they can breed.

I vote for Gold Valley but its up to the majority, Drayton is full of bloomin great carp with most being 10lb plus so it isn't really a general match fishery

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.