Meat Rigs.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
I'm going to try Trefor Wests wire hook method of hooking meat on hair as per Matt Hayes Total Fishing show. Anyone any tips etc on this method. Do you tie wire on hair or off hook shank.

Anyone know where I can see Trefors shots in show.

Last edited:

Rickrod

Reaction score
You can buy some tiny wire coils (korum i think) which you hair rig on

Rickrod

Reaction score
Sorry Robert,Rodney is correct hes just jogged the old grey matter

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Robert, use it on a hair rig, but the Korum quickstop is a neater tool for the job, it's really a speed fishing aid or if you're fishing through the dark the fuse wire rig saves a little time.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
... unless you mean the "lead wire on the hook" dodge, which is for slowing down a free-lined or rolled bait, in which case the wire is wound round the hook-shank. and the hook is buried in the meat.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
... unless you mean the "lead wire on the hook" dodge, which is for slowing down a free-lined or rolled bait, in which case the wire is wound round the hook-shank. and the hook is buried in the meat.
I don't think it's that Alan as Robert mentioned hooking the meat on the hair, it's a good call though especially when there's a bit of extra water on the river after rain, as you say this with method the hook is buried in the meat or paste.

If it is Alan's suggestion you meant Robert, you can pick up the lead wire in the fly fishing section of a tackleshop, and another tip is to cover the wire in shrink tube when you've loaded the hook to stop it slipping and it stops the bait getting in all the turns.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
Sorry muckers, I mean for normal ledgering not meat trundling. Might try making some of those wire "Hair Riggers" the ones you screw into meat.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
353_1.jpg

These are the meat stops made by Fox.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
These are the one's I have from Enterprise Tackle.
BFW010170.jpg

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

The silicone tubing stops the line cheese wiring through the meat on the cast and the base/stop hooks into the hair loop as a boilie stop would.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Shrink tube or rig tube works well to stop 'cheese wiring' through larger lumps of meat, pellet bands work well also if you use them like a hair rather than a band.

A wider bait stop like the Fox ones Graham suggests also help to stop them pulling through the soft meat.

I usually use rubber bait bands and a thicker than average piece of grass stem.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
I have been using bait band tied on end of hair with shrink tube in meat using spagetti as bait stop. Think it was bream & small chub nibbling meat off hook.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
Tried some DIY "hair riggers"...wire meat screws today. Meat kept on hair until chub snaffled it. They even opened out screws...!!!

sergioge

Reaction score
Hi mate,get this stuff from fox its called arma mesh,its like pva tubing but it doesnt dissolve just pack it with the meat of your choice tie it off and then hair rig it as you would a pellet or boillie ive used it for carp,barbel and chub with great results its not just limited to meat ive used it with hemp,tares basically anything you would normally have trouble keeping on the hair,check out your local tackle shop or the fox website:www.foxint.com, hope this helps,goodluck and tight lines.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
Took my chub gear to catch what was pinching meat off hook. Soon found out...eels and a bream. Thanks for tips anyway.

Beedle Steve

Reaction score
Meat Rig

Have you tried cutting small discs out of a clear plastic hook packet.Push a baiting needle through the plastic disc,then the meat, put it on the hair and secure with a boiley stop,Jobs a good un.

issimmo

Reaction score
Meat rigs

I'm going to try Trefor Wests wire hook method of hooking meat on hair as per Matt Hayes Total Fishing show. Anyone any tips etc on this method. Do you tie wire on hair or off hook shank.

Anyone know where I can see Trefors shots in show.

Hi Robert. You need some lead wire for the job. The wire is wraped on the shank of the hook. Be carefull though, the wire might split the meat if you're hasty. Just push the hook trough the meat and when exit twist the point 90 degrease.
This is not a hair rig, the coil of wire (that was mentioned before) is for paste baits.