Closed season.....

D

Dave Johnson

I walked along a good stretch of the river yesterday and could'nt believe how many anglers were fishing. Proper fishing as well, not the 'once or twice ' a year crew who probably hav'nt a clue on dates etc.

Even in Bridgnorth itself in the middle of the town with all the barbel gear out......

the one guy who was fishing below the ferry at Hampton Loade tried to convince me he was after eels.....

Where are the EA and why when I phoned thier offices to complain were they not manned?

P

Paul Williams

It's been happening for years mate!......did you see the big Zander that got knocked on the head?

A

Andrew Thomas

Sounds like it is busier than I noticed before the season end!

C

Chris Bishop

Best of all (not), they say they can't prosecute the guy who killed the zed, even though he had his pic in Angler's Mail bragging about it.

S

Stormin' Norman

I know how you feel Dave. I tried to report a guy who was fishing on a noted roach swim on the Nene a few weeks back. I asked him what he thought he was doing, he responded with the old closed season? didnt think we had one line, and I pointed out that with all his matching match gear and ?700 pole he knew very well what I was talking about. Anyway he got mouthy so I called the EA on their supposed hotline and spoke to a lady who really had not got a clue what she was answering the phone for.

For me personally I get bloody mad seeing People flout the rules while I sit within the law and can't fish the river, but the worst is knowing that nobody else gives a stuff, least of all the EA.

C

Chris Bishop

Hear hear - how about a level playing field for all, ie either enforce the rules as they stand or scrap them so we all know where we stand.

P

Paul Williams

They should be scrapped.....it appears there would be less damage done to our rivers! and decent anglers would be about to "police" those who really don't give a shite!........

P

Peter Waller

Until the EA is seen to act the problem of illegal fishing will escalate. Whether it be out of season fishing, three rods on one licence, whatever, no EA presence so what do we expect?

S

Stuart Bullard

Well, it depends on how determined we all are. Has anyone pressed the EA on the matter? I am sure they have some statement / guidelines that specifies how they should respond to such calls etc.

Surely the police have powers........there again they couldn't even respond to someone stuck in their car when it was being attacked !

E

Edmund Cowpe

It's an old problem. I remember about five years ago I went on a river trip from Iron Bridge during the close season. There were loads of people fishing along the banks. There was even a couple of anglers in carp chairs with a stack of beer at their side. Guess what? You guessed correctly, the river authority couldn't give a toss.

D

darryl rogers

the ea say that they can not prosicute if they don`t catch someone red handed . they don`t have enough baliffs during the open season so what chance do they stand during the closed season.they need to make their mind upand due away with the closed season alltogather

D

Dave O'L

In a tackle shop today (Bournemouth) I was told people have been fishing the rivers. Not meant to be widespread but enough people doing it.
What I got told was the EA leave it for the club bailiffs - but many club bailiffs may not be around - maybe trying to get a holiday before the 16th?

A

Alan Thatcher

I think that the closed season should be scrapped, there is no closed season in southern Ireland and their fish stocks are not affected by it, so no closed seaso no problem.

T

Trent Jim

Southern Ireland totally different to England - density of fishermen per mile of river a fraction of that here.
I agree that fish stocks might not be affected by abolition of the closed season but there would be other serious environmental consequences, namely the disturbance of nesting birds. Also the lack of trampling boots during April and May gives wildflowers and the bankside vegetation a chance to get established. In ignoring anglers acting illegally the E.A is showing a cavalier disregard to its statutory obligation to protect the environment, is there scope for a judicial review of the agencies actions (or lack of them!)
Jim

T

Tony wainwright

I have to deal with tha EA on a regular basis due to my work. Its no wonder that they cant enforce things, as the red tape that they have to deal with away from this subject can leave them little time to enforce the closed season.
Dont forget that the EA are responsible for all waste transportation(skips etc), disposal and the licences required for all of this. It is unfair to say that they arent interested. The truth is that they are understaffed in much the same way as most government agencies.
I am in total agreement with Trent Jim. The closed season gives the flora and fauna a much needed chance to grow and breed at the most important part of the year for them.
There is no point in pointing the finger at the EA; its a targetted campaign that is required to get the government to fund the EA more realistically.

T

Trent Jim

10,500 staff and a budget of ?650 million
Its not a case of understaffing - they have plenty of staff - they are clearly neglecting to deploy their staff to enforce the regulations they are responsible for, what would happen if a council decided it would stop emptying the bins because it needed to deploy more resources into the planning dept - its a similar situation to whats going on at the E.A.
Jim

P

Paul Williams

I'm sorry Tony but i can't agree.....there is every reason to point the finger at the EA, they have uniformed "licence checkers" the people who are fishing the rivers only need a visit from them, the areas were it is happening are easy access and known!
I know the EA try to do a good job but if they do nothing about such an obvious and blatant problem how do we know they are doing anything about others?
Theres an article on this site by Barrie Richards about such things as flora and fauna and the close season.....it may not be what you want to hear but well run fisheries without a close season have very healthy surroundings.....the Severn gets walked along, biked along, and the foliage ripped out by boaters.....the angler impact is no more threatening.......i agree we need "control" at times but the closed season is outdated and at the present time it revolves around a minority.

A

Andrew Thomas

Can't agree more. I see no angling pressure on the rivers I fish. Quite the reverse.

D

Dave Johnson

eveen in peak season, you rarely see other anglers along the rivers I fish so I cant agree with the flora arguement during the closed season. Apart from that the Severn where this post originated..has a public footpath along its entire length which is well used all year round