carp rods with a nice fish playing action

dazdidge

Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice pair of 2.75lb carp rods. I want one with a nice soft fish playing action and not one that is as stiff as a poker.

Can someone recommend a decent rod? Looking to spend up to £200 for the pair.

I'm a bit of a tackle tart so ideally the rod needs to be nice and thin!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello John,

Try the Grey's Prodigy SX Rods, they're a lovely looking rod and being from Grey's they will have loads of fish playing action. I think they retail at around £99.99p each.
Sonik SK3 2.75lb Carp Rods, Website says £99.99p each or buy 2 get 3rd rod free (That's 3 rods for the price of 2) Soniksports.com is the website page. I have just looked at these rods and they look fantastic, they have full duplon handles and aluminium butt cap etc, well worth a look at that price i would say.
Alternatively you could get some very nice second hand rods off of Ebay for a very nice price, as some people take up carp fishing and then either want bigger better rods or just hate the whole carp fishing scene and sell all there tackle.

Tight Lines

Last edited:

Robert Woods

Reaction score
Look for some Harrison Balistas on eBay...lovely rods. I had a pair of 2.5lb rods...wish I kept them rather than going more for distance rods that I didn't really need.

davey boy

Reaction score
Harrison Ballista deffo without a seconds thought matey, the best palyers rod ever made (ive got 4) although my century Armalites are also top banana as a players rod.

Buy a pair of 2.75lb Ballistas cheap for around £80 then go to Bob at Fosters (or another rod builder of your choice) ask him for shrink wrap handles, re whip and may be rings if needed, new reel fittings and you will have a pair of custom built Harrisons the way you want them for your £200 all in.

I did exactly that and they are fantasitc and all my mates love them to, if your after a players rod for that budget i wouldnt think twice mate.

Gud luck Dave.

Plus they have a good cult following so will sell well again if for some crazy reason you decide to move them on.

Its a no brainer.

preston96

Reaction score
Ballistas 23/4 here also......superb.........built by Bob too.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
I had a pair of 2.5tc Balistas and Shimano 6010 reels balanced them. Regarding Fox reels...too heavy in my opinion.

dazdidge

Reaction score
I have Fox 1200 baitrunners, but I would use these new rods with my Shimano 10000 baitrunners.

I had the Fox 10000 stratos but had nightmares with the line getting jammed behind the front drag knob. it happened almost every other cast and cost me a lot of fish. It was worse when fishing close in. My spool wasn't over-filled in case anyone was thinking it!!

Foxy

Reaction score
Go for greys, great rods and a warranty what more can you ask for?

richiekelly

Reaction score
nice rods

i recently purchased a set of rod hutchinson intuition in 2 n 3/4 i paid 200 for three rods in pristine nick great rods nice through action allowing the use off smaller hooks and line all rods from hutchy range are superb

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
My set of 3 12ft shimano technium 3LB TC FA are loverly rods with a very nice through action you can really beast them when playing fish and they will cast heavy weights at distance, I`m thinking of changing but mine have lasted me 8 years and there still in good nick but as they`ve served me well there sort of my little lucky charm`s and the new rods would have to be 10 times better for me to change

richiekelly

Reaction score
i agree once you have found a nice set keep them even greys rods are china built i had a set of prodigy very heavy unresponsive blank even wit the gaurentee