Griff Rhys Jones.... Idiot

The bad one

Reaction score
Incites canoeists to disrupt anglers whilst fishing because they don't have open access to all rivers. Discussion on Jeremy Vine show Radio 2 after 1 o'clock today. If you miss it go to listen again BBC website

The bad one

Reaction score
Don't they do that already

Yes they do! They really don't give a flying for the law of the land!
If you really want to see what open access would be like on our rivers, go and try to fish the River Wye during this summer. Every wanna be Hiawatha will be on it 10am to 8 pm 7 days a week.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
on radio 2 Gryff just said he was an angler. :rolleyes:
My clubs local stretch of the Colne has a sea scouts headquarters on it's banks,I am trying to educate them that if they see an angler, to give some kind of warning ,and to pass the angler on the inside, rather than the far bank which is where he-she is invariably fishing.
Another club I belong to actually own the freehold of the river colne they control.there are signs at each end of the fishery stating no canoeing,swimming etc,but we still get them coming down,and they have often vandalised the signs.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the other thread on this topic:

http://www.fmcarp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39580

Also, note what GM has said, feel free to go to the newspaper's comments section and make your views known - forcefully but without the need for poor language(?)

Is is interesting though to see some of the proponents of the R2R for the public on land rulings from a few years ago now effectively changing course because it is now the R2R for paddlers on their rivers . . . . . .

The bad one

Reaction score
Take a look at the other thread on this topic:

http://www.fmcarp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39580

Also, note what GM has said, feel free to go to the newspaper's comments section and make your views known - forcefully but without the need for poor language(?)

Is is interesting though to see some of the proponents of the R2R for the public on land rulings from a few years ago now effectively changing course because it is now the R2R for paddlers on their rivers . . . . . .

It is indeed Peter but there's a difference - the Crow Act only gives me a member of the public access to 20% of the open countryside with restrictions as and when I can use that access. Where as they want open access on every river over 3 metres wide 365 24 7. for nothing.

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

Peter it might interest you to know that the right to walk in towns and cities is being lost quicker that areas of open countryside is being added to the Crow Act.

Much of the cut throughs, alleyways, ginnels, snickets in towns and cities are being blocked off for crime prevention. Along with public roads, open town/city spaces being sold to development companies, who then under ownership remove the access rights to the general public.

Specihunter

Reaction score
I had a few just after the season started who went up and down the evenlode triangle . Which isn't canoe friendly yet they went up and down it wish I had a few bombs to drop from the bridge.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
I'd definitely NOT call the last post on the Griffthing site reasoned arguement. That sort of post gives completely the wrong impression of what anglers are about.

By explaining how much it costs to make these waterways accessible and the fact that we anglers pay substantial sums to use the rivers might encourage the canoeists to accept that they too should pay a levy towards the cost.

The barrage of vitriol thrown down by that particular poster tarnishes all of us.

lionelyoung

Reaction score
griff rhys jones, idiot

Griff rhys jones idiot,griff rhys jones **** more like it, never liked the guy, dead smarmy,**** comedian?I bet most of the british public hate him an all,know it all son of a ***** pheeww, needed that

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
We must accept that there are more leisure activities involving waterways than solely fishing and that where arrangements are reached we may well end up sharing more water with 'paddlers' than we do currently.

Having said that I strongly believe that there are suitable stretches and unsuitable stretches, also that if they want to use the rivers then they should have to pay as we do.

There should also be some sort of code of conduct drawn up, for both groups, to make any encounters as friction-free as possible.

Rhys Jones has provided evidence here that he suffers from the same foot-in-mouth problem as Robson Green. Why don't these people think before they open their mouths?

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

In addition, calling the man all the names under the sun is not going to strengthen our (anglers) position when it comes to presenting a united and reasoned argument opposing his views.

Some of the posters on his site forum, whilst rightly opposing his views, have already shown anglers in a poor light using crude insults and bad language. I can understand the anger his comments cause people, I feel it myself, but the ability to take a step backwards, behave like an adult and construct a reasoned response is what will win the debate.

Reaction score
griff rhys jones

i think boating people do pay for a permit to use the waterways?.
what a stupid statment to make on the radio.
most boat people don't give a sh-- about us fishermen / women.
i had one going up and down my swim all morning he was crashing about and just being a pain in the arse.

i think, if it's a privite club water they should not be able to use it at all.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I always preferred Mel Smith, Jones isn't funny in person, in written word or on radio. I guess he's feeling the pinch these days too, as they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Whoops, didn't see this thread. Anyways, how about some of the more erudite members here posting up in defense of our sport, words written here are only preaching to the converted. Sure, abuse aint clever but it's an emotive issue and rather than berate those who swear and insult, how about putting some thoughts down on griffythingy spotblog whatever ?
Ed?

A

alan whittington

I have e-mailed the Mail,as i cant believe the s****y attitude of the paper that doesnt at least give some angling celebrity (Chris Tarrant perhaps)or organisation the right of reply within the same issue.:mad:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
There's a scout camp (not a camp scout) just downstream from where I fish a lot in a weirpool and during the summer they have all sorts of fun on the river including taking out canoes and paddlers.

Back in 2006 (when we last had a nice summer) the water was clear as gin and low and very steady. I wasn't doing too much with a bottom bait and went to have a look closer to the weir sill. Just 20yards downstream I noticed a small shadow swimming around, chub.

STAY WITH ME ON THIS

Shortly, it was joined by another, and another until there were maybe 8 or so. I went to get some feed pellets and started attracting them in until eventually I had a full shoal of maybe 50 fish and all seemed to be between 3 and 5lbs by the looks of them.

They were all coming close to the bank swimming in and out of my shadow that cast across the water. I just kept feeding the pellets and they kept on coming. It was a wonderful site, but after 20 minutes or so, I fancied a crack at them to see if I could lift one or two from the shoal.

I crept back, got the rod and a landing net and just as I got back to the shoal, which were still swimming around, the scouts came over the weir with their canoes. The shoal disappeared.

The scouts were trainign so had inexperienced canoeists as well and they hogged the entire area. They apologised nicely and there seemed little I could do about it, they were entitled I guess. After 15 minutes they left.

It took about another hour before the shoal started to return and I started feeding again. Yep, they were back in full numbers, swimming around and coming right up to the concrete wall. After a further 15 minutes, I got my rod out and was just about to cast .....

When the bl**dy scouts came back again for another go.

I gave up at that point, but this is proof to the point that canoes do scare the fish and it does take time to get them back in your swim.

I'd happily allow them to paddle down some watercoarses at certain times of the year where and when they aren't going to do any harm. But we cannot allow it at all times of the year and on every watercoarse. Trouble is, give an inch and they'll want a mile.