trent

klik2change

Reaction score
I have just spent 2 days on the trent at Newark, caught six barbel. Biggest 9.12oz, 9.04, 8 [ish], two at 7 [ish], 4 [ish]; and one chub about 2 [ish]. I dont weigh smaller fish. Three were caught in the dark, the others at various times in daylight. I am quite happy with that result. It's certainly better than the last time about 3 weeks ago when I caught just one fish. Someone told me that the bailiff told him someone caught a 14 last night. I obviously cant confirm that.

ole_270

Reaction score
Just been on Trent and after a couple of sessions ive come to a conclusion that a bait ive been trying has improved my catch rate. Ive tried my normal Hali pellet then changed to a ellipse pellet dipped in some Teme Seven bait dip ;) It was like turning a light on! The difference was that noticeable!!

I tried back to my original bait and the bites tailed off, I tried the old bait with the bait dip and the bites still didnt come as quick. Back to the new bait and the bites were back and more frequently!

like I said ive had a few sessions now and tried to mix things up, and the verdict is Teme Seven dip and the new ellips pellet.

Im just glad I listened to the bloke in the shop, Tigra Fishing Tackle in Rotherham, and gave it a go. ;) Had three 9lb+ Barbel and loads upto and just short of 9lb

Heres the pellets http://www.tigrafishingtackle.com/index.php/vmchk/product-search.html?keyword=ellipse+pellets

I cant wait to get down to the trent again ;)

klik2change

Reaction score
HIya Barbel G. Which dip did you use?

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

I just returned from a 4 day trip to the trent at A! pits. It was quite an epic, in all the pouring rain. I caught 17 barbel, including two at 10lb plus - biggest 10lb7oz. They were all caught on 20mm frozen dynamite halibut boilies. Twice I had a bite within 5 minutes of casting in. I just avoided a double header, thankfully, as I was on my own. The action built up over the time, with one fish landed on the first full day, I was still catching up till the point I had to pack up and go home! The fish went mad for my feed, I reckon: hemp, caster, a list of different pellets, all very sticky and squidgy, cast out to the edge of the central channel, quickly washed out of the large cage feeders; long FC hooklengths, Korum hooks [crushed barbs this time]. Only TWO fish were caught in the dark!

ole_270

Reaction score
Hi Klick, I was using the Teme Severn Lamprey Sticky Dip from the same shop.
Had another 28 barbel at the weekend, up to just short of 9lb :D

klik2change

Reaction score
Hiya barbel g,

One or two people have said to me that lamprey is the best pike bait on the trent at A1 pits. Where you at A1 pits? There were two lads from Rotherham there in the early part of last week...? I know it's fishing well. There was a guy who did an overnighter the day I arrived who had 13 barbel over the one night. All I had the first night were snags and lost tackle!

ole_270

Reaction score
I like to use lamprey as a Pike bait myself, its smelly, stays on the hook well and ouzes blood for ages ;) but I havent fished for Pike on the Trent yet m8
I wasnt on that stretch not far away tho :wh

After the fish I had at the weekend I have stocked up to make sure i have enough to get me by :D