Drinkers & Puffers=Idiots!!!!!!

R

Rick Winters

First trip to a club water this Saturday, arrived @ 0500hrs fair few bivvies dotted around but managed to find a horny looking swim, pads to the right pads to the left and plenty of open water straight out. Went to the next swim to see how he has faired in the night, Bivvy shut tighter than a Nuns legs. Empty lager cans (approx 25)
strewn around the bivvy. O/K you might say thats his choice however this pillock was fishing directly into his margin pads. At approx 11-30 hrs chummy exits his bivvy (could hear Him coughing and retching) 5 mins later I
get a lungful of His first joint of the day. Now don't get me wrong if the guy wants to spend his days and nights
in a drug and alchohol induced daze thats his perogative, But why did'nt He bring his rods in first? To make things even worse there was two bailiffs fishing directly opposite him.

Lets have your thoughts on this please
Lads & Lasses.

C

Carp Angler

Camping with rods is fine, as this is what most carpers do (they don't angle, they just turn up) but not being in a state to handle fish or being capable to react to a situation is inexcusable.

See the Bury hill thread on how responsible some bailiffs are.

C

Chris Bishop

Just read it and think there are two issues here - behaviour of some overnighters and fisheries which are only concerned with a quick buck.

Both are bad news.

C

Chrisx Ess

A venue I use in Hull has had just such a problem, and they are very concerned about it. They are considering stopping night fishing altogether, which is a shame for the well-behaved vast majority. Many, many lager cans were discovered, plus two dead carp, both good doubles. Carp are expensive items to replace. No fishery can afford the sums of money involved.
Also, I was told (by a mate, as opposed to by a bailiff)that the gents concerned were seen, in their bivvies, with needles hanging out of their arms. Having a few cans and a spliff or two are one thing. Everybody who uses these substances knows when they've had enough. But there is no moderation with any commonly-injected drug.

To return to the fishing aspect of it, one hopes that the fisheries will simply decide to be more careful about just who they allow to stay overnight. They might like to check rod licences, for example. And why not?

S

steve chambers

I've been in a fair few 'frank randles' in my time on the bank side and sitting with a mate and a few tinnies on the barby can't be beaten...
I can tell you one thing, when that buzzer starts screaming the adrenaline puts my senses on red alert.
You just have to be a bit responsible and dont fish snags for example. As for needles, they're for nobheads period..
Provided you clear up your mess and always think of how your fishing might be affected I don't think it should become a problem.
If you're really plastered you can always clip your line and real in for the night.
You get a decent kip and there's no risk to you or the fish.
everything in moderation I reckon

M

Malcolm Bason

I too like a few cans with mate on the bank, and I don't personally object if someone smokes a joint - not that any of my present fishing buddies do!

But as has previously been said - anything more than this is a definate do-go! Something has to be done, but what?

B

Brian Lewis

Although most clubs couldn't afford it, with commercial fisheries making so much money, surely they could employ security staff to act as bailiffs and to remove the undesirables.

P

Paul Williams

There is no excuse whatsoever for loads of cans lying around your bivvy......carry a rubbish bag and use it as you make the rubbish and then take it home......there should be no need for litterbins on fisheries!! and i love a can or two as the sun sets!........if i had a water of my own there would be no warnings about litter, anglers would be told of the rules at the start and it would be one strike and you are out!!

R

Rick Winters

Many thanks for your replies, its nice to know there are a lot of like minded carpers
out there. As I stated I have no axe to grind with anyone who has a bevvy whilst fishing god alone knows I've done it myself
not to sure about the drugs though but each to their own and as long as it does not affect anyone else then its fine. My overriding concern was the fact that chummy was still fishing whilst in that state and right into the pads at that!!!
There is no way that he could have dealt with a run in open water yet alone in snags. As for the adrenaline rush he would have needed 150 cc's straight into his heart to respond. Sorry to keep on about it
but it has really got on my Tits!!!

B

Brian Lewis

Sounds like he was lucky not to be swimming in the pads! Or was that too much to hope for?

More seriously, Rick, you may have been taking one of your children fishing with you (if you have any). Would you have been happy for him or her to witness this behaviour?

I believe that most of us more responsible anglers try to set an example of how to behave properly. Clearly the chap you came across cared only about himself!

P

Phil Hatton

Rick,many moons ago I was on the comittee of a smallish club in Cheshire.We didnt have a dedicated carp water but were persuaded it would be a good idea to acquire one.A large and vocal section of the club virtually demanded it,so rightly or wrongly we stocked one of our premier bream and tench waters with a few big carp.It lead to what can only be described as a civil war within the club.We had numerous cases such as the one you described,poaching,abuse,swim hogging every crime the overnight-multirod brigade have ever been accused of.A large number of the membership called for night fishing bans and boilie bans and some even proposed removing the carp altogether.The conflict between the carpers and the general membership went on for a season or two before it was resolved but the damage to the club and to the image of carp fishermen in general has yet to heal.Back then I was primarily a matchman and to be honest I thought all carpers were a little weird,I know better now but many of my mates from the old days at that club still have a warped perception of the typical carper.I can't personally understand the attitude of a person who gets wrecked on the bank,for one thing it's bloody dangerous.As I've said in a previous thread this kind of thing needs to be addressed by controlling clubs and fishery owners.However there's nothing to stop the more responsible element of the sport from actively encouraging the above from cracking down on these 'numptys'.From personal experience I can state that approaching theses people on your own initiative can be a little foolish.

C

Chrisx Ess

Some of you seem to be very sure that fisheries make loads of dosh. I don't know, but I doubt it. There are no licences to print money any more. Also, I was told how much stock carp are to buy, per pound, but I can't remember the exact figure. Just a few dead fish can cost a fishery quite a lot. Another fishery owner I know believes that his big fish are being stolen. Given the level of demand for big carp it wouldn't be surprising.

I

Ian Whittaker

If you are not in control of your rods you shouldn't be fishing. NOBODY can defend that !

B

Brett Chilvers

I think being in that state after 25 cans is a discrace.After 40 i can except it.