A good read???

supersquirrel

Reaction score
Next month Im going on holiday to sunny Malta for two weeks. Now I love a good read. Espeically when Im sipping a few cocktails on the beach. Im usually a noval man. However since getting back into to fishing in a huge way I thought id read something on the topic.

Ive been looking at John Wilsons new biography. And the " Fishing a good excuse for loafing in the countryside" By Keith Arthur. Have any of you read these.

Or could you recommend me a couple of books to take with me. Any suggestions would be much appreciated :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A good read

There are so many: take a look at some of Chris Yates' books, in particular, 'Casting at the Sun', 'How to Fish' and 'Falling In Again'

John Searle's 'A Brush With The Avon' is a terrific chronicle on one mans love affair with one river, and I must have read it 4 or 5 times.

Some of Robin Armstrong's books are truly lovely; 'Split Cane and Sable' is one I really enjoyed, as well as 'Under The Bridge' and 'The Painted Stream'

Don't forget some of the older books; Richard Walker's 'Drop Me A Line' chronicles his correspondance with Maurice Ingham over a long period and gives a great insight into the early developments of Carp fishing.

As I said, so many to chose from and each of us have our preferences, the above are a few of mine.

Last edited:

Steve King

Reaction score
Martin James "Up Against it" is an inspiring read.

"Freshwater Fishing" by Fred Buller and Hugh Falkus is great book to dip into - it's full of interesting things such as the development of various kinds of reels etc.

keora

Reaction score
John Aston's " A Dream of Jewelled Fishes" is worth reading. It came out 2 years ago and it was so successful it's now out in paper back.

He writes about how he started fishing in ponds near Castleford when he was a child - his father was a doctor so he was fairly well off compared to most people in the locality. He graduated to specimen hunting when it became popular in the 60s, then started fly fishing. There's some good descriptive writing of Scottish loch fishing and coarse fishing in the Yorkshire rivers.

Reaction score
"Another Bloody Tangle" by Peter Bishop - a light hearted autobiographical view of his angling 'career' - very funny and at times moving. Read it in a day!

"Fish, Fishing and the Meaning of Life" - an anthology selected by Jeremy Paxman - great for dipping into.

Anybody got a fishing guide to Bulgaria?

Poshers:cool:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Martin Hooper, specimine hunting by design is a decent read. Tony Miles "big fish anngling a specimine hunter reflects is also a good read.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
For me would have to be 'Somewhere Down the Crazy River' by Paul Boote and Jeremy Wade. Fantastic book, lost count of how many times I've ready it, superbly written as well.

supersquirrel

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your input, its much appreciated:).

If Chris yates is as good a read as he was to watch in a passion for angling he can't be bad.;) Will be definately having a look at some of these that are suggested.

Thanks again guys.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Second that too.The "Classics" include some wonderful reprints.

Trout of the Thames [Hobbs] and My Fishing Days & Fishing Ways [Martin] are fantastic snapshots of fishing years ago.

If you enjoy a bit of angling nostalgia then these two are absolute must reads.

But if you've never read it then "Casting at the Sun" is the best thing Yates has ever done and IMO ever will.Brilliant.

Skippy

supersquirrel

Reaction score
;Thanks for those sites guys, will be taking a look shortly. Im definately after nostalgia type fishing books. I read enough tips/tactics etc everyday :). Keep them coming guys cause even though I wont buy them all its good for future reference. Once again thanks.

HAHA Cakey, my better half has a nose for stuff like that. Id be be lucky to survive if I pulled a stunt like that lol ;)

Rickrod

Reaction score
Fishing for big pike Ray Webb and Barrie Rickards

Out of the blue Chris Yates

Mega pike Eddie Turner

Pike fishing the practice and the passion Mick Brown