Lost items in lakes/rivers

Steve King

Reaction score
I lost my wedding ring on the banks of the Teme at Cotheridge a few years ago.

I keep losing forceps when barbel fishing! I tend to unhook the barbel in the net, return the barbel and forget about the forceps!

A mate of mine found a rod holdall complete with five rods in a car park - it seems the owner drove off before finishing loading up! Fortunately the rods were reunited with the original owner after a couple of days!

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Yesterday I lost my glasses in the lake when going in to save a fish... What have you lost in a lake or river?

Almost my life.

£2000-plus camera gear.

Two mobile phones.

Numerous tackle items

a few fag lighters (when I smoked)

A watch

Ed's copy of 40-plus:p

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Floats and feeders in over hanging trees or bushes.
Nail Clippers that i use as Line Snips. (before someone says -: you cut your nails when your fishing)
Lost the top two section of my pole when i was pulling for a break when caught in lillies, it shot str8 out of my hand, swam out and got it back, bloody freezing it was too.
A tub of shots that slid off my knee when i was shotting my waggler and hit the lake with a resounding PLOP. (fortunately i had some spare ones)

Tight Lines

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Apart from the usual tackle items, particularly bank sticks;

My prescription polaroid sunglasses about 12 years ago at Gold Valley - they fell into the lake and after a few minutes 'fishing' with the landing net all I came up with was masses of broken glass - so I decided not to go in after them.

My mobile phone at a 'secret' lake in Wiltshire - damn nuisance as I had to re-create all of my contact numbers.

My car keys about 6 years ago on the Royalty fishery.
(Thank goodness for the good old AA!)

Cakey

Reaction score
Ive been lucky ......lost nothing
Ive found umbrellas ,loads of weigh slings,a rod pod,and a couple of weeks ago a solar bankstick with buzz bar two alarms and swingers which went straight on the clubs site and no one has claimed yet...........

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
A very expensive Swiss wrist watch I got for my 21st birthday, it had an expanding strap. Like a clown, I threw out a handfull of maggots with the hand wearing the watch. And looked in horror as the watch splashed down into twenty odd feet of water.

A Pentax camera, in Ladybower Reservoir.

A Farstrike carp rod, complete with Alcedo reel in the Relief Channel, due to frozen hands.

Oh enough of this, I feel stupid enough.

Reaction score
Slime and Clarkey

I hooked and landed the other sock from the Dane on Wednesday evening. You shouldn't have furtively driven 200 miles North....I'd have got rid of it for you.....if the price was right! Too late now!!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Iv'e lost loads of fish.

I lost my umbrella in the Thames,it blew away,and ended upside down on the far bank in some reeds.Two blokes in a canoe came to the rescue and retrieved it for me.The problem was they couldnt collapse it and they were being towed around,and almost capsised,They got it back to me eventually,but I 'm sure they wished they had'nt bothered...PMSL

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A mobile phone at Clattercote, going to the assistance of a lady.
A few un-hooking mats.
A green Fishing Magic cap at Adams Mill

Found 1 brolly left by somebody who shouldn't have been on a fishery, now keeping a junior angler dry!

preston96

Reaction score
Ed's copy of 40-plus:p[/QUOTE]

He still pines for someone half his age then? :j

My mate dropped my electric outboard into the Severn!!!

I dropped my Dads best reel into a deep marl hole when i was a kid, stripped off and dived for it, didn't find it tho......didn't we do some dangerous things as kids!

Specihunter

Reaction score
I have lost a cheap bite alarm in my club lake I did lose the top half of a beach rod on Portsmouth pier years ago.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
My down fall seems to be rod rests and banksticks
The number of time I've packed up, driven home, unloaded the car, put the gear away and then got back in the car and driven back with a torch to find my bankstick.
I've also dropped a full tub of No8 shot and ended up with about 20 left in the tub.
I've found a few bits whilst fishing , floats, weights, packet of hooks, but nothing expensive

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
My brand new bob james lightwieght centre pin , first time out with it and the old splitcane rod i was useing had the old fashioned sliding reel fittings and the reel came off 8ft deep at the bankside. I was very lucky to have tied a good knot as 40 yds of line later i got my reel back. Phew

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Pole top 2 to a carp, 3 rd section turned out faulty.
Retrieved pole sections 4 to 7 (put together) after they slid into a lake due to steep banking. Had to wade out starkers (good job it was summer) up to my chin in water, managed to clasp the last section with my toes and lift it up just enough to grab it with my hand. Had to dry off using my ground bait towel.
Lost a fly wallet when on holiday. Dropped out of my bag when packing up whilst wlaking back to the car.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
Also lost my pride and joy last year in a gail force wind, my lovely fishingmagic cap went sailing off into the sunset. But me ole mate graham gave me a new one,( still got it too) tight lines