Cranked hooks good or bad ?

Cakey

Reaction score
views please on "cranked" hooks Ive never tried or tested so over to you
carprus_cranked_hook.jpg

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
at risk of sounding stupid, what would the benefits be to using a hook like that??

Cakey

Reaction score
the only info I can find is....................
"Cranked shank will cause the hook to immediatly snag the lining of the fishes mouth.
On contact and under preasure creates a straight pull effect thus avoiding hook pulls."

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
a quick google for "frank warwick cranked hook" brought up this article, but the diagrams aren't there, so it only throws limited light on the matter

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=12

whether they are good or bad, i still have no idea, but it certainly seems an interesting idea.

You ever used them frothey?

richiekelly

Reaction score
i considered using these hooks myself a while ago but was unsure of how the mechanics of the hook turning would work, i was also concerned about wether they could damage the fish so decided against using them

Frothey

Reaction score
i was give one many moons ago, and caught on it. cant remember what the hookhold was like. make a paper clip in the same shape and they do turn like a ******!

frank wrote a bit about them in carpworld, but i gave all my mags away years ago so i couldn't tell you what he said lol!

Windy

Reaction score
As I understand it because the hook eye is in an almost straight line with the hook point it gives a direct in-line hook hold that hooks up better than the offset hooking angle of a conventional hook, plus once hooked the fish finds it almost impossible to find any leverage to twist it out as long as line tension is maintained.
The cranked bit gives a wider gape between hook point and shank than a curved bent shank or an inturned hook point, further increasing the efficiency of hooking up.
It is also said to be more fish friendly for hook and release as, because the force on the hook hold acts in a straight line, there is no tendency for the hook to cut sideways or enlarge the hook hole.
They are said to be so efficient in comparison with standard hooks that I believe that the american air force (or marine flying corps, one or the other) has taken the step of putting them in the survival packs every pilot has in case of being shot down in the middle of nowhere.
I'd be interested in giving them an experimental try if anyone knows of a supplier in this country.

Windy

Reaction score
Ignore me, the ones I'm talking about are cranked in a flat plane with the hook bend, not off to one side like these things.
No idea how good or bad these are....

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
You'll all soon know if they're any good or not, because if they are they will be in every carp magazine, and everyone will be raving about them.
If Frank Warwick has a website or an email address drop him a email and ask him, explain what your concerns may be, and see what his reply is, then it's a case of sod it i'm trying them or sod it i'm not going to bother.

Tight Lines

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
They look like they'd be nice for mini rubber shads or grub tail lures for perch?

Morespiders

Reaction score
If my memory serves me right, Frankie used to sell the hook's through Gardner years ago, ask him on Facebook.

quattro

Reaction score
Do they come barbless as well, or is the barb all part of the "sure hooking" system:eek: