Wintle's World - No Feed Float Fishing

masabis

Reaction score
Nice article,

In winter when I go Grayling fishing with a friend I'm quite happy to just trot a worm and search every likely swim where as my friend tends to use maggots with loose feed and we both catch about the same amount.

Hexy

jcp01

Reaction score
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with this. I use no groundbait tactics regularly on a particular stretch of the Warwickshire Avon that has a large head of small roach masking some larger specimens; I'll usually start a session with just trotted bread flake or a bunch of maggots and if the bites are consistent and quite easy to hit i'll stay with it all day and if I feed at all i'll only feed the most miserly amount of freebies imaginable .

On the other hand if I do feed, and often this is the best way to kick start a slow swim, Ill feed heavily for a short time to turn the swim on and when the bites start then I'll stop feeding altogether until bites dry up once more.

I also fish very big lobworms on the canal for the large roach it contains, also without groundbait of any kind to back it up. I have found that if I put groundbait on top of the worm then it will receive perch attention and the roach will not get a look in. On some perch free stretches you can cast a worm and leave it there for hours and hours - it will eventually get picked up by a roach and that roach will almost invariably go over a pound in weight.

slime monster

Reaction score
It certainly works using corn on the bomb and matches have been won in winter by anglers feeding nowt ,I have not got the discipline to stick it out and it is not long before my hand strays to the the bait tray.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Sound advice Mark. As I do a ;ot of short sessions I tend to fish this way often, usually on the lead but sometimes the float, and it works very well for me. Like yourself I also tend to feed more if doing longer sessions.

jcp01

Reaction score
Idlers quest was interesting rufus,but the 2nd paragraph was a bit baffling?
nice pics .

Yes it was! If it is the dodgy scales post you are talking of? Thanks for pointing this out Peter, I have corrected it.