New Monitor

Les Clark 3

Reaction score
Not strictly fishing, but I am looking to buy a new monitor for my 6 year old computer , I have had a gander on the web at the TFT monitors, but it seems that they can suffer from " black spots " ?
Not looking to pay a fortune , about £100 /£120 for a 19 inch , any ideas or help in the right direction would be a great help .:confused: :D

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry to much about it, all monitors you would be buying would come with a gaurantee, most monitors are going to be just fine.
Google 19" pc monitors and see what comes up.
You could try PC World they have deals all the time.

Tight Lines.

Les Clark 3

Reaction score
Cheers mate , It`s just that I`m not up with all the teci stuff , I don`t want to buy a load of rubbish , but must say that I`m not over chuffed with PC World , over priced salesmen ,they sold me my computer in the first place .:(

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
can you say ebuyer?

they have cracking deals on monitors mate, currently got a samsung 19" on there for less than £90. lg 22" for under £120

with regards the tech stuff, IMO the things to watch are that it has the connections you need, a high contrast ratio, and a low response time.

Guarantee you'll find something on there that fits the bill.

Windy

Reaction score
Novatech for £79.99 inc the vodka and tonic....

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-19LCDE

Been using them for all my computer stuff not bought off of fleabay - ie. the stuff that works ! - for almost 15 odd years now.
Never beaten on price, never a duff piece of kit, all warranty and follow up assistance perfect and service with a smile. Can't recommend them too highly.

While looking at monitors you might care to peruse LCD Tv's as well. It's a few quid more, but most of them have a computer input, so you can use them as both a monitor and a TV set. Alternatively stick to a monitor and spend the difference on a Leadtek DTV card and get TV and digital recording to disk on your PC....

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Would also recommend eBuyer. Bought a new hard drive last month. Offering free postage on some items estimated delivery 5 days. Hard drive arrived next day. Superb company and very cheap compared to PCWorld, Staples etc.

Black spots are not so much of a problem, white spots either, as they are so small they look much the same as a full stop on this page! Likelihood is, you will get one or two during the first 5 years if you're unlucky. Remember that many of the 'named' hardware is made by smaller companies and badged for the big companies.

r1paul

Reaction score
Just to let you blokes the outcome , I had decided on the hp 20 " , tried Staples but not a great selection , I then went to pc world , much to my dread , didn`t have the 20" hp but had the 22/23 " for £30 more . Took it home and set it up but it wasn`t right , took it back with a veiw to change it , had a word with a teci guy , went home ,got my computer , had the grathics upgraded , went back home with the 22" .

Set it up and quite pleased with it , but I think that soon I will have to get a new computer ( 7 years old ) .:)

Les Clark 3

Reaction score
One more little problem that I have , I keep getting this message up at startup : The snmaster .idx Daterbase file is missing . please restore .
I have had this for sometime , been on the web to find out how to restore it , no joy , been through all sorts on the computer , no joy .
Has anybody got any ideas ?:confused: :eek:

r1paul

Reaction score
Sorry to bother you again but I have decided to get a new computer , before I throw this one out of the window .
I don`t need top of the range , just a bit quicker and to download films , music , rather go over gunned than under .
Ive tried to find reviews on the web , but cant , so if anybody uses this model could you give me your views , good or bad .http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/533858/hp-6013/tab/specification#spec :eek: :D

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Sorry, my pc is an adapted commodore 64 with a team of hamsters doing shift work on the wheel that drives the processor.
Looks fine though, plenty of memory etc.

r1paul

Reaction score
Thats good enough for me Cakey , cheers mate .:cool:

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Sorry, my pc is an adapted commodore 64 with a team of hamsters doing shift work on the wheel that drives the processor.
Looks fine though, plenty of memory etc.[
Your a lucky man to have hamsters , Ive only field mice on this one .:D

captain carrott

Reaction score
have you considered buying the components and building one les.

it really is very very simple