ron thompson

newbieneil

Reaction score
apparently theyve gone bump according to my local tackle shop.
shame really as they made some half decent entry level gear for cheap

davegn

Reaction score
Ron Thompson are a brand name for Okuma products, don't think your information is correct, but they may have shelved the brand because their own name now sells well in the UK. The brand was originally set up to give Okuma a more "British" name in the tackle business.
I agree they did put out a lot of good tackle under the brand, still have a few rods myself.

newbieneil

Reaction score
That makes sense now...why when you buy a ron thompson/zensorflex rod you usually get an okuma reel(as a rod and reel combo) ive got the godfather heavy feeder myself-decent rod really for the money.I went to buy a small 6m pole and they were reduced you see and the bloke said its because theyre shutting as when he went to the warehouse to get some stock and they were about the best thing left as it was mostly tat left over!

Reaction score
Ron Thomson, Okuma etc etc are all owned by Svensden Sports, and I have heard rumors that they are pulling out of the UK. :(

However that is not a fact and as I said before it is only a rumor, but it wouldn't suprise me as in the shop we haven't had a trade catalogue this year (to my knowledge) and we haven't received any special trade offer/new releases mail for quite some time.

Shame really as i liked some of their stuff.

Ryan

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have been helping out in Johnson Ross tackle shop a couple of days a week as they are very busy. They have had tackle from Ron Thompson, had some gear on Thursday, they do make some good stuff.

davegn

Reaction score
Sorry but Svensden Sports do not own Okuma, Okuma are the largest manufacturer of reels in the world. making reels for a lot of suppliers. Svensden are their UK agents and suppliers. They also own the UK rights for DAM which are now controlled under licence to John Griffiths.
Haven't heard that Svensden are considering leaving the UK though.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Far eastern country's have chosen UK/EU sounding names for decades.
The Japanese name of Panasonic for instance sounds like a little dog that has messed itself. Would you like a s**ty dog sitting in the corner of your living/bed room. Fisher (appropriate here) is Sanyo.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, who's name is Sheba .............. i sure as hell ain't buying anything from Toshiba then.

I ain't having any Japanese RSPCA representative knocking on my door.