Preferred Main Line

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

What is everyone's preferred Main Line?
Doesn't matter what type of fishing you do either (just to keep it simple)

For my Feeder fishing i'm currently using Daiwa Sensor Monofil, simply because it's cheap, reliable and you get loads of it for your money. Around £6.99p for over 2000 yards of 4lb and 6lb line and over 1800 yards of 8lb line.

For my Waggler Fishing i'm using Maxima Chameleon again because it's cheap and reliable and sinks well. Around £3.50p for 100 metres.

For my Pole fishing i'm using Middy Hi Viz again because it's cheap and it hasn't let me down so far, it knots well, it comes in a good range of breaking strains, and well i like it. Around £3.50p for 100 metres.

Tight Lines

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Similar to Fred for me.........

Krystonite for anything over 8lbs.....

Maxima, Sensor, and Drennan floatfish cover all else.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Out of all the different lines including the high teck ones I've used sensor still wins hands down. I have some 12lb fox camo for my mainline when river fishing on the bottom at the moment for Barb's etc but as soon as it's goosed I'll replace it with good old sensor. I'd stick with the sensor if I where you.

strut5a

Reaction score
When I use mono I tend to stick to sensor,it's never given me a problem so if it's not broke dont fix it. On my carp reels I generally load up with 20lb Fox Graviton braid, it's reasonably priced and very reliable.

Reaction score
Daiwa Sensor Clear for most of my fishing.

Power Pro for spinning, livebaiting and deadbaiting.

I've also been experimenting with Sakuma braid recently and it performed very well on a recent mahseer trip.

(Don't buy your Power Pro from the UK, it's well over-priced. I get mine from http://www.jacksonlures.com/)

Last edited:

Chris Season32

Reaction score
I'm using these this year:

Waggler/stickfloat: 6lb Silstar Match & 3.2lb Bayer Perlon.
Medium feeder/heavy float: 6lb Daiwa Sensor & 8lb Ultima.
Heavy feeder/method: 10lb Nash Bullet.
Pike: 12lb Daiwa Sensor.

I tend to try a new line each season, this year I've dropped Daiwa Matchwinner to try Silstar Match on the float reels.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
This year I am trying the Korum line and so far I am very impressed, it has very little memory (a bit like me) and sinks very easily but not too far, I have a 4lb on a spool to try as a waggler line but so far havn't used it yet. I like it - a lot

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I use Maxima for most mono applications in line strengths from 5lbs BS upwards, but don't really care which manafacturer I use for lighter mono's. Also use Berkeley Big Game in 14lbs BS because I won a shed load several years back. A nice light brown colour and unbelievably strong.

Powerpro braid in Moss green for all lure applications.

supersquirrel

Reaction score
Ive recently started using Shakespeare ASL line. Its great value for money and very nice line to use. Not springy and very strong for its low diameter.

Also I use Maxima, can't go wrong with the stuff. Very reliable and cheap as chips.:)

Also a line I want to try and havent been able to get hold of around my area at the moment. Is the Maver genesis line. Had great reviews all round from what Ive seen. Anybody use this at all?

A

alan whittington

Just a suggestion but if you fish with 12lb bs up take a look at awa-shima(i think i spelt it right)on e-bay,Phil Smith mentioned it earlier this year in an article,he states that the 18.6lb bs size breaks at around 12lb,the diameter is excellent he said at that time he couldnt fault it yet,ive got some but my seasons been that poor i neednt have line on,so i cant review it myself apart from it laying on the spool brilliantly.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Power pro briad for my piking Krystonite for my carp,tench,bream, berkley vanish for mullet fishing in the creeks.and iron and silk for my sea fishing

Richox12

Reaction score
Alan, if the rated 18.6lb line breaks at 12lb then doesn't that make the Awa-Shima rubbish ?

It doesn't make sense. Rated 18.6lb, breaks at 12lb but the diameter is excellent. What for ? 18.6lb or 12lb ? Somethings wrong somewhere.

Cakey

Reaction score
what I can see of it they dont make a 18.6 lb its more likely that 12lb line breaks at 18.6 but I will find out to day ..................