Milk Protein Based Boilies

johntyzack

Reaction score
Hi All

I was just reading an article in this months Coarse Fisherman by Tony Miles and he was explaining the effectiveness of Milk Protein based baits for Barbel.

Does anyone know what commercially available baits have a Milk Protein base? And has anyone else had any success with them?

Thanks

Matt

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Milk protein baits are very effective for barbel and most other species at times but don't get too bogged down in choosing a basemix or boilie.

The fact is that barbel will eat almost any boilie, at least they do from my own experience. A few crumbled up and added in a pva bag with a whole or shaved one on a hair can be a deadly method. I've caught on many different mixes - milk, birdfood and if course, fishmeal.
If you are planning a winter campaign and want to prebait a section of smaller river then milk may be the way to go but you do run the risk of locking down a section in cold water. By which I mean you may give the fish all the food they need for a few days with your milk baits which stops anybody else getting a look in for the next week or so.

That may catch you a fish or two but it is unlikely to win you any friends.

issimmo

Reaction score
I think milk protein baits are better in the colder months. When it's hot they might be dificult to keep fresh.
There are many baits that contain milk proteins and I think every comp has its own Hi Nu Val. Milks are in most fishmeal baits and some birdfoods, but unless your strech of river is heavily fished with milk protein baits I think you get your fishing a bit expencive. I remember seeing a video a few years ago and Tony Miles was using Action Baits or Active Baits and they were milk protein baits.
Hope it helps, cheers... Mike.

richiekelly

Reaction score
not forgetting mr miles is a very good angler hnv does work for barbel aswell as all the usual suspects dont get to bogged down wit these super boilies they dont exist get onto the premier baits site winter matrix has served me well last winter on the trent