Mackerel.??

The Piker

Reaction score
Hi i am not a sea fishing expert,had a few codling on lug in the bristol chanel
winter time..

But myself and a couple of mates would love to get some macks,a couple to chuck on the barbie still fresh...washed down with a cold cider..

And mabey take some home to freeze down, for piking in winter time..

We are not after stacks of them just a bit of fun really..

Now the crunch where can we go to get some............we have set our eyes on Weymouth,or any place in Dorset..We are based in South Wales..

Any suggestions most welcome...:confused:

Rickrod

Reaction score
There's plenty of mackerel showing down here

sagalout

Reaction score
Normally loads here, there seem to be three favoured marks (I think thats the sea fishing term) Torquay pier, Thunder Hole (it's at the town end of Meadfoot beach) and Hopes Nose. The tackle shop on the harbour will tell you where best at the time.

The Piker

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys chaps...

Now let us prey.......................the weather gets a little better..:rolleyes:

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
We're running close to the end of the season, so you'll have to get there soon. Time was when Chesil in Weymouth was easy to catch a few Macks on feathers but it's a bit hit or miss these days. For my money, I'd pitch up at the harbour and grab one of the £5 mackerel trips - almost certain to catch a shedload.
Alternatively, try the Stone Pier in Weymouth and fish with mackerel strip under a float or lures. Take the barbecue with you....

slime monster

Reaction score
Re Torquay pier, first light for big mackeral this time of the year and it is a lot quieter ,if you happen to catch a Garfish a strip of this cut to mimic a sand eel is a stunning bait fished 12 foot deep go shallow for the Gars

Specihunter

Reaction score
WEYMOUTH STONE PIER all you need is 10ft rod float gear good size hook and mackeral and sandeel for bait . Find the depth and you will catch all day long oh and try to fish the end of the pier .