Which Knot......?!

ggh

Reaction score
Just bought some of those Korum Quick Change swivels 'cause being a lazy g*t it seems like an easy way to change hooklengths, what's the best knot for making a loop in momo/flourocarbon and braid? Are some knots better on mono as oppose to flouro and braid and vice versa? Also does the overhand knot weaken mono?

Thanks in advance!!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
All knots weaken lines, whether they're flourocarbon, Mono or Braid. It is just some Knots weaken the line considerably less than others.

Try this knot for tying your loops, i use it all the time on Mono line and it hasn't let me down so far.

Here is a video of how to tie the Figure of 8 Loop Knot.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1612750244?bctid=1614765973

You could also use this knot, it's called a Uni Knot, i used to use it a lot when Carp Fishing for attaching MainLine to Swivels.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1659866545?bctid=1668494976

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Interesting clip mate, I tie the figure of 8 knot like that anyway, but the bit in the clip about doubling the line then forming the knot was new to me and I am going to give that a try.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Would definitely use a figure-of-8, I use this when fishing for roach with helicopter rigs (the doubled line formed by the loop almost acts like a boom and helps prevent tangles) and haven't had one go at the knot, even when using light hook links. An overhand loop on the other hand is terrible and will weaken the line, quite considerably with some lines.

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Same here, figure of eight for loop to loop but I use a palomar knot for swivels, eyed hooks and fixed weights. Both are non-strangulating. I did my own knot tests and chose the ones that gave me the best results. Testing your own knots is a good way of increasing confidence in your rigs, its a useful exercise.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Very true, and it can depend on how you tie a knot as well - some people get on with certain knots and get good strength from them whilst others don't.

Cakey

Reaction score
Im fussy with my knots like most of us probably are so I wont weaken knots by testing at the bankside,I do all my testing at home and its new knots at the bankside
after Ive had fairly big carp I normally tie on a new rig anyway
if I snag I tie on a new rig also this ensures sharp hooks and unweakened knots
so them quick change things would not interest me because a weaken knot could be left undetected and goodbye to a fish of a lifetime

sagalout

Reaction score
In the video he uses his fingers, mine ain't no good for that there delicate stuff so I use a ESP splicing needle. Its like a fine baiting needle with a hinged closing thingy ma gig. I do the first bit the same but then put the needle through the "circle" twist it round twice and cop hold of the loop with the end of the needle and pull it back through. You can get very small and tight loops this way. There clear as mud.

What I don't understand is, he calls this the figure of eight knot, but other sites show it as a single turn :confused:

Last edited:

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Didn't know there was an 'English' way of tying knots. Does it require tweed thread and a mouth full of plums? :D :D

Wag

Reaction score
I think what we call a Grinner is what the US call a Uni knot.

I think you only need 4 knots for most situations:-

Uni (Grinner) for hooks, swivels, droppers etc
Figure of 8 loop for loops, joining lines and droppers etc
Palomar for hooks, swivels etc
Snell knot for hooks

I think you should have everything covered with those.

ggh

Reaction score
Thanks for the video's, very informative, I'm going to use the figure of 8 from now on. I use the pallamor for tying attaching swiveles etc, but the uni knot looks a bit more versatile so I will be giving that a go a too, cheers!!!

issimmo

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Usualy I use 2 knots, the Palomar and Grinner, but for loops I use the Rapala (the one that is on inside the Kryston hooklink material).
I've found the Palomar knot to be the one I have most confidence in and usualy is my first choice.