baitrunners

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Ok gentlemen, your expertise is required here please

I'm looking for a new set of baitrunners as my old ones are about to give up on me :(........I can't affort a great deal of money, max £100.

I have never really looked in to reels in closer details, so I'm not sure what to look for.(so far it has been the case of feels good, handles good, sorted!!!)
I would like to use them for rivers and lakes and should be able to take up to 10lb mainline.

I got no idea about ball bearings and all that technical stuff, so really would like you input and help, so I know at least what to look for.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Shimano, Daiwa and Okuma all do decent reels for around £50. To be honest I don't think that there's a great deal to choose between them. I'd have a play and choose the one that looks/feels best.

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

Oh and go for the 4000 size (one down from the usual carp ones) as these will suit your general fishing best.

Number of bearings, etc aren't really an issue. Once you get above 4 I'm not sure what advantage there is.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Claudia,

Why not come on round at the weekend and have a look at some of my 'collection' as that might give you an idea or two.

What will you be using them for?
Are you sure you want Baitrunners?
How often will you be using them?
(knowing you just about every weekend I suppose?)

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Peter,

I might pop over on Saturday and have a look at your huge collection lol, make sure you got plenty of the coffee stuff on the go, knowing your collection it could take some time lol.

I use them for my general carp fishing or when fishing 2 rods in general, so they will get plenty of use.

Chris, thanks for the link, I was looking at them before as I already have 3 x regal 5000 big pit baitrunners for when I go big lump hunting and I quite like them.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
ditto to Jim, I've got okuma interceptors in the "40" size and use them for pretty much everything - 1 spool with 6lb sensor, 1 spool with 12lb sensor. £29 each if you hunt around, so you could buy both reels, fill them both with line and have £25ish leftover!!

Chris Season32

Reaction score
I've an interceptor, great reel apart from their weight. Mine also now sounds like a coffee grinder. Still working though.

issimmo

Reaction score
I would also sugest Okuma interceptors. They're great value, for me they always come with me, wether river or lake fishing.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
iI would get a pair of second hand shimano 5010's or 5000 gte's off ebay. You should be ok to get a pair for arround the 100 notes mark.

Rickrod

Reaction score
If i had £50 to buy a baitrunner then my money would be on a pair of these shimano baitrunner 5000re limited edition £49.99 climax tackle 01246 291155

Reaction score
These Daiwa's are very keenly priced at the moment:
http://www.falcontackle.co.uk/details.php?StockCode=RGP3500BRi-AB
http://www.falcontackle.co.uk/details.php?StockCode=RGP4000BRi-AB
I've been using them for the last couple of seasons and like them a lot.

Hi Claudia! How's tricks?

Jim ordered a Daiwa Mission chair from this site, and 6-8 weeks later still no sign of it.

Not suggesting they're dishonest but that is sh*t service, they've not even bothered keeping him up to date with what (if anything) is happening to his order.

They are good reels though mate,

I have a pair of the 4500 size which is perfect for most of my fishing.

See you on the Severn some time soon :)

Last edited:

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Hi Claudia! How's tricks?

Jim ordered a Daiwa Mission chair from this site, and 6-8 weeks later still no sign of it.

Not suggesting they're dishonest but that is sh*t service, they've not even bothered keeping him up to date with what (if anything) is happening to his order.

They are good reels though mate,

I have a pair of the 4500 size which is perfect for most of my fishing.

See you on the Severn some time soon :)

Hi ****y,
Thanks for the info on the lousy service, will bare it in mind.

Thinks are looking up, starting my new job on Monday........I can remember you having the reels, just wasn't sure whether you had the 4000 or the the 4500.

What does Sabrina look like at the moment? Will come up again soon for a fishing session....Sabrina still owes me ;)

A

alan whittington

Id go along with 'tigger',shimano for me,im going to annoy someone now but ive had 3 okuma's and havnt been happy with any one of them,too spoilt with shimano's and daiwa's,im probably wrong but a cheap shimano is better than most reels.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Prefer Shimano

I prefer Shimano personally, and as I'm in the tackle shop on Saturday morning I'll have a good look at these limited edition Shimano 5000's.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I prefer Shimano personally, and as I'm in the tackle shop on Saturday morning I'll have a good look at these limited edition Shimano 5000's.

Hear hear, Peter is off tackle tarting again lol!!! Not long before you have to extend your double Garage Peter ;)

Well, I am off to wet a line for a bit before the weather changes it's mind again

A

alan whittington

There's nothing wrong with putting your make up on and going for a bit fishing retail therapy is there Claudia?;):whJust for christ's sake tell the wife.

Reaction score
Hi Claudia,

To be honest I haven't really fished the Severn yet, I always get a bit Teme-obsessed at the start of the season.

The Teme is fishing really well. I took a mate who is learning to fish for his first barbel session last weekend, and he has a new pb of 9lb 4oz!!

Hope to see you soon, you're always welcome :)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

I had a pair of these from the kids for Fathers day. Early days yet, but I have given them a couple of outings and I am well pleased with them.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I wouldn't go under the 5000 mark on baitrunners, the shimano deal going round at the moment is a great offer.

Anything under the 5000 size may become a problem if you need to fish at distance anytime, and the 5000 isn't a large reel and is fine for your river fishing.