dropped takes

dadondo

Reaction score
hi everyone i`m having a bit of trouble when using the shocker lead set up , in the fact that i have had three dropped fish in my last three outings. is it possible that the lead is not setting the hook suffiently on the take ? what is a problem is that the three takes were the only takes any thoughts gents? help !!!.

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
What size lead and hook are you using? I was using the shocker type rig on my last session I got back from yesterday. I tried it with bobbins at first but worked but obviously not as got as on slack lines the bites are awesome, the catfish were literally stripping line of my baitrunners on the bite & run then bolted off. I was using a 2.5oz bomb with tubing covering the lead ring and swivel as it helps preventing tangles when you cast, the distance between the stopper shocker bead I used was 2 to 2 1/2 feet on slack lines work well as resistance in a bait will be dropped by a cat well theory anyway, 7" hooklength to a size 3 kamasan maxx carp hook tied with a knotless knot. Try 2oz or 2 1/2oz at least to get a good hook hold & different distances of the shocker bead maybe its too long or short gap till the lead sets the hook as the fish swims off with the bait, the advantage of using a bomb with a swivel is that its very free running on the rig tubing vertually no resistance

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
Here is the pic but I will have to make my one up and get a picture of it as its more of a resistance free running rig, on mine the rig tube is pushed inside a rubber sleeve to connect it to the swivel, all the fish I`ve had on it all dislodged the lead.
shocknight.gif

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

Heres the exact same rig I used on my last session it still has the rig tubing knot on the hair used to keep the halibuts in place. The packets in the pic are items I used from the, maybe not what they are intenionally used used for, the rubber sleeve from the esp helicopter rig kit as this covers the swivel and the hole in the end of them is big enough to slip the tubing into it i.e not glued and wet the end otherwise you will have trouble threading it in as you can see the bomb is free running and has less resistance than using a inline and the shocker stopper bead is from as korda safe zone helicopter bead and I used coated braid which forms a stiff hooklink
01-08-09_2305.jpg

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Looks like a carp rig to me! :) (Obviously works for your catfish too though)

I wouldn't use anything like that. I would just fish a free-running link leger with sea-fishing big-bore beads to help it run free. The hook link would be a lot longer too, a foot or so at least. I imagine that is where the dropped runs are starting. With a short hooklink a catfish has trouble getting the bait in its mouth. If it's too much trouble it will just eject the hookbait and find something not tied down.

Ah - just seen the photo; with a much longer hooklength than in the diagram. That's the key factor. I think if it was 3 to 6 inches you would be getting lots of dropped runs too.

Errmm. Good wine this. I'm a bit mixed up now, are we talking carp or cats?? :)

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
Looks like a carp rig to me! :) (Obviously works for your catfish too though)

I wouldn't use anything like that. I would just fish a free-running link leger with sea-fishing big-bore beads to help it run free. The hook link would be a lot longer too, a foot or so at least. I imagine that is where the dropped runs are starting. With a short hooklink a catfish has trouble getting the bait in its mouth. If it's too much trouble it will just eject the hookbait and find something not tied down.
Geoff its not me getting dropped runs mate...... I have no problems with my rigs

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
No. It's me. I'm having trouble staying awake. Time for old dinosaurs to hit the sack Nighty night!

noknot

Reaction score
hi everyone i`m having a bit of trouble when using the shocker lead set up , in the fact that i have had three dropped fish in my last three outings. is it possible that the lead is not setting the hook suffiently on the take ? what is a problem is that the three takes were the only takes any thoughts gents? help !!!.

What do you mean by "dropped"? are you hooking the fish and then loosing them, or are getting takes and not connecting?

Frothey

Reaction score
why would you be getting more dropped takes becaise you are using a 3"-6" hooklength Geoff? where does that leave the chod/silt rig? or are you talking cats rather than carp?

even with completely slack lines, the fish will feel the resistance of the rig tube long before hitting the bead.... waste of time imo. might work as intended if used without tubing - but then that would be a 30yr old rig, and not so markettable :)

dadondo

Reaction score
hi guys yes i`m hooking the fish good solid runs but they seem to come off after a short time 10- 15 seconds into the fight . not sure if its the lack of bolt effect or my rigs not setting properly ,my rigs are florocarbon combi 6-10 inch whipped knotles knot to a size 8 wide gape thanks for your opinions .

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
How sharp are your hooks? I had this problem a few months back & I found it to be blunt hooks I bought of fleabay and they werent cheap ones Kamasan maxx carp hooks. What size lead are you using?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
why would you be getting more dropped takes becaise you are using a 3"-6" hooklength Geoff? where does that leave the chod/silt rig? or are you talking cats rather than carp?
I was talking cats. For carp the rig should be fine. The hooks sound sharp enough or he wouldn't be hooking them. Are these fish mouth damaged?

dadondo

Reaction score
hi frothey yes i think my baitrunners are a bit loose, so as you stated i will tighten them up . i`m fishing at approx 90-120 yds my rods are grays torsions 3 1/4lb test, the more this thread is going i`m begining to think it could be something else like frothey said when you tighten into the fish that sets the hook so i`m thinking it could be they are liners some how? but thanks guys it is certainly making me think a bit more cheers.