Fishing "Celebrities" - some need to learn a few manners.

dazdidge

Reaction score
I went to the Fox Demo day at Willow Park yesterday and had a pretty good time. It was let down by one of the so called "celebrities", Ian Welch.

I waited over half an hour to have a go at fly fishing for carp. Along came Ian Welch with his son and without a second thought took over from the man who was currently on the casting platform.

He put his son on first and then himself. I wouldn't have minded waiting a bit longer if he had bothered to apologise, let alone aknowledge the fact that I had waited so long. Then he had a go, by which time I was totally miffed and walked away.

Some of these people may be full of there own self importance but manners cost nothing.

Thankfully not all of the Fox guys were so rude.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Send Fox an e mail, they might re-emberse you with a free gift or a free fishing lesson with one of the Fox consultants.
Failing that at least you will have lodged your complaint.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
I've fished with Ian Welch and Mick Brown (see your other thread) and both are great blokes as well as good anglers.

I'm sure Ian wouldn't have done what you say coldly and deliberately. He probably didn't even realise he was offending you. That's not like the Ian I know, the one who has helped FishingMagic in the past with the James Farrow event by allowing us to fish Blue Pool when he was in charge at Cemex.

I'll make him aware of this thread and give him the chance to reply.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hi Graham,

You're probably right, Ian was probably totally oblivious to the fact that he may have upset someone with his actions.
I think it is only fair that he should be contacted and made aware of the fact.
Nothing worse, than not realising you have possibly upset someone, especially if it is not in your nature to do so.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Yes, it's not the Ian I have known for over 13 years now.

If Ian suffers from anything, it's over-enthusiasm to please people. I'm sure if he was aware of your waiting he would have done whatever was necessary to accomodate you.

PS Fly fishing for carp is really tiring on the arm and can lead to tennis elbow.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
John - why didn't you say something - too British?

I remember waiting at the blood donors - there were about 30 of us waiting for the nurse to start the testing and when the nurse started a woman walked in and straight to the front of the queue - not one person said a word - well 1 did - I went up to the woman and politely but firmly told her there was 30 people in front of her - she apologies and waited her turn

THat's the trouble with some of us we're afraid to say something

dazdidge

Reaction score
Lord Paul is right - I should've said something I suppose but I didn't want to cause a scene as my son was with me.

I was gagging for a go with the fly rod but had to get back home soon afterwards so was obviously disappointed.

I'm not the type to cause trouble so I thought I'd vent my frustrtaion on here!

I'm sure Ian is a nice man and I may have got the wrong impression.

ian_welch

FishingMagic Editor
Reaction score
Firstly my sincere apologies to John; I really had no idea you were there and waiting - you should have spoken to me and I would have been more than happy to have arranged to have come back at another time.

It was an incredibly busy weekend for me trying to co-ordinate all of the talks and demonstrations and keep up a constant commentary on the PA so I had booked a session with Allan, the instructor, before the show opened at a time which would allow me to get the casting, interview and photos I needed done before I had to dash off to cover another event - that said I would still have been happy to have re-jigged things to allow you to have your go or to have arranged for Allan to make sure you got an extended session straight after.

I've arranged to spend a full day photographing a fly casting feature with Allan down in Oxfordshire next month and if John would like to join me for all or part of that day I would be delighted to have him as my guest - so please feel free to get in touch with me via Graham.

On another matter - I don't know who Wolfman is but his analysis of my personality is spot on. Maybe I should book a session on his couch...

Les Clark 3

Reaction score
On another matter - I don't know who Wolfman is but his analysis of my personality is spot on. Maybe I should book a session on his couch...[/QUOTE]
Wolfman ? We don`t know who he is either Ian , we thought he was a mate of yours and Mcwallet? Maybe he`s just a conman or gatecrasher .:D :j

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Ian - I wasn't there but have taken a deep and totally irrational "dim view" of your behaviour over the incident - so much so that only a day's casting tuition at your expense and a 9ft 6 rod as a freebie plus about 100 flies can appease.
If you can't manage the day's casting just send the fly rod and box of flies to my address - pm me to obtain the details of where to send them.
And you should buy a large bar of chocolate and a balloon on a stick for John's son

heathbryant45

Reaction score
Careful what you ask for, last time i got something from Ian it was about 3 sizes too big, been on a diet ever since! :w

Cakey

Reaction score
I was so upset Ive taken to my bed.............Ian please send big breasted red head ta

The bad one

Reaction score
Firstly my sincere apologies to John; I really had no idea you were there and waiting - you should have spoken to me and I would have been more than happy to have arranged to have come back at another time.

It was an incredibly busy weekend for me trying to co-ordinate all of the talks and demonstrations and keep up a constant commentary on the PA so I had booked a session with Allan, the instructor, before the show opened at a time which would allow me to get the casting, interview and photos I needed done before I had to dash off to cover another event - that said I would still have been happy to have re-jigged things to allow you to have your go or to have arranged for Allan to make sure you got an extended session straight after.

I've arranged to spend a full day photographing a fly casting feature with Allan down in Oxfordshire next month and if John would like to join me for all or part of that day I would be delighted to have him as my guest - so please feel free to get in touch with me via Graham.

On another matter - I don't know who Wolfman is but his analysis of my personality is spot on. Maybe I should book a session on his couch...

Ian I was going to rip into you for not asking whether there was anybody waiting for a go. Up here in the NW that what we do, as I did Sat night to the lad who was fishing in a double swim on his own. I asked him was it alright if I fished on the left of the swim, which he had no problems with. And we found when I'd settle in, we had many people we know in common and had a really good old chinwag.

Cheers Tony!

But fair dinkum to you for apologising and making the offer to John!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score

Ian, if you click on my name, you will see my profile - some guy called Jeff Woodhouse who suffers from schizophrenia, having two personalities one of which only appears on moonlit nights. It's a long story...., but you might remember him from Marlow AC days and ways.
;)
Never did do that spot at the Angler in Marlow, but you're still welcome anytime.

ian_welch

FishingMagic Editor
Reaction score
It's so long since I posted on FM I really had forgotten what a loveable bunch of wind-up merchants you all are. I promise to check in here more often from now on!

Thanks to all who got in touch with me for the kind words both via the site and email, I'm glad those of you who know me realise I'm not an ogre - and I think that now includes John who made the original post!

...and Jeff, I had just worked out it was you, a day with you on the Thames would be an absolute pleasure sir!

Balloons on sticks indeed..... lol

preston96

Reaction score
On another matter - I don't know who Wolfman is but his analysis of my personality is spot on. Maybe I should book a session on his couch...[/QUOTE]

Oh i doubt he has room on it for you Ian...........its a well worn casting couch....and no, nothing to do with fishing! :wh