cheap pole

blacklabfish

Reaction score
first time on here, looking for a little advice. I've been fishing all my life, some carp fishing and a lot of generel coarse. in december I had a severe stroke which left me paralysed on my right side. since then I've rec overed well and managed a days fishing yesterday, however my right arm is still very weak and un-coordinated making casting and striking very funny to watch but not very effective! I'm thinking a pole would be easier with ready made rigs, maybe 7 or 8 meters, but I don't want to spend too much as hopefully next year I'll be getting back to normal, any ideas for a pole around £ 50?
thanks for any help

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Gritty41,

For around £50 you could probably get yourself a Margin Pole of around 7 metres.
However to be Honest your choice of Poles will be very Limited, but there are some Poles out there within that price Bracket.
Can i ask if you fish on a Box or on a Chair?
The reason i ask is, you can buy some up and over Pole Holders to rest your Pole in which should aid you some what as you don't have to physically hold the pole while you are fishing, you only need to handle the Pole when Shipping in or Shipping out.

Tight Lines.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Is that all the thanks I get for moving your post to the Classifieds instead of in Baitbox, and then making the link work?

It's a **** offer, don't buy his pole - even if it is a bargain:D

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Graham - thanks for all that - please accept my apologies - but if you'd read the ad you may have realised way it was in baitbox ;)

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Look I'll go to £60 and a balloon on a stick for the seat box

Anmy chance of a balloon on a stick smilie?

blacklabfish

Reaction score
thanks for the ideas, i am more comfy on a chair as sitting up straight for hours is quite hard on the back still, muscles not balanced yet. things like tying hooks are pretty hard so i thought rigs would be easier. I have pole fished a few years ago but the pole broke and was never replaced, so i do have a roller

sagalout

Reaction score
Maybe a whip would be easier Gritty
I would suggest the same, I suspect you would find a pole very awkward to ship. Me father in law is in his 80's and having been a builder all his life his joints are shot, I got him to buy a 4.5metre carbon whip for about £55, and it is light enough for him to use with his lack of strength.

Gritty, you don't say where you are (yeah I know in the kitchen) maybe someone close to you could help out a bit. If you are in my neck of the woods youare welcome to try my pole (oo err missus) and I have some whips you could try. I would also be happy to tie some rigs for you.

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
You could still buy the Ready made pole rigs, and then just buy packets of ready tied hooklengths.
If the pole rig is still in fine condition but you just need to change the hook or the hooklength, you can then just slip on a new hook length.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
What are you fishing for gritty? if you're after small fish of less than a lb then a whip would suffice, if you're after larger fish then a pole is the way to go. Although many commercials have large carp patrolling the margins and they may give a bit more fight so remember to watch for the rating.

Recently I've bought a couple of margin poles from Cheshire Angling, I went for the Middy's 7m Rhythm Stik , 2 top kits 1 with a No12 and the other a No20. it's a decent margin tool but is only elasticated in the top 1 section so you tend to feel the fight which is something else to consider as you build your strength back up.

Best of luck.

blacklabfish

Reaction score
thanks for the advice, I went out and bought a 7m sensas margin pole. seemed nice and light. got a few rigs and will try tying a few at home as I improve. it was only £27 so not much risked. tbh I'm just glad to be fishing for a few bits for now, it's a big stem up from a hospital bed! i'm in cheshire by the way. and the right arm is quite strong but not very flexible, holding a pole seems fine.