I'm just begining. Your help please.

Shine

Reaction score
Got a Finepix S5800. Have been playing about with it for a few days now. Went fishing today and took some pics.
As I'm just starting out trying to take better pictures can you tell me from the pics below what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong.
Praise and criticism and both welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

ps. Please remember I'm just starting so no technical gibber :)

DSCF0248.jpg

DSCF0247.jpg

DSCF0237.jpg

DSCF0230.jpg

DSCF0240.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:17 ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 ----------

Praise and criticism are both welcome :eek:

Shine

Reaction score
more to the point are you happy with them ??

I happy with them cakey as I've never had a camera that took half decent pictures before. I suppose it just like anything you want to become better at.... practice practice practice

---------- Post added at 09:33 ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 ----------

And learn to make use of your histogram.

Thanks Ron. I'll have a look through the manual. I'd seen that histogram on the camera and wondered what that was. I read about the first 5 pages then got itchy fingers and just wanted to start taking pictures :)

Shine

Reaction score
DSCF0248.jpg

DSCF0159.jpg

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0155.jpg

DSCF0162.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

and I have no idea how I done this. pitch dark and i was wondering how good the flash was.....

DSCF0167.jpg

Cakey

Reaction score
cool ,last one looks like the flash didnt fire and so the shutter stayed open for a second or two while you waved the camera around
I have some of my piccys on www.flickr.com
in the search box put theonlycakey
it wont find me the first time but change the search options to people
then click on the red and yellow cakey

Cakey

Reaction score
ha ha ha he loved the snow ,he has one of them lampshade thingys on at the mo he has pulled his dew claw on his front leg

Shine

Reaction score
Poor buddy. hope he is better soon. Seen a little dog like that yesterday when we was at the vets. Cute little dog it was.

Some great pictures there cakes. Really sharp and clear. I like the feeding lioness too, the evil look on its face while it chomps its food is great

dezza

Reaction score
If you want some criticism, the whites are very washed out and there is not much detail in the shadows, particularly on the otherwise excellent shot of the cow. This denotes over-exposure. If you consult your histogram it will probably show the peaks hitting the left and right lines. You want the peaks to be kept in the bounds of the lines if at all possible.

A histogram is a graph showing values of black, grey and white tones in a photograph.

But all is not lost. If you have Photoshop Elements you could do a "quick fix" which should correct some of the faults. I take it your camera does not have a "D-Lighting" feature.

Cakey

Reaction score
Ron Ive tried there are no salvageable details in the white
very hard picture to take and the only real cure would be to shoot it in RAW

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
They're nice pics. The metering has exposed some of them for the sky rather than the foreground, perhaps. To avoid this, point the camera at the foreground and use exposure lock, then take the pic.
The harsh shadows Ron refers to are just the strong sunlight - no issues there, and not much you can do to adjust them, though, as Ron says, Nikon's D-Lighting is pretty impressive. You don't get Nikon features on Fujis, Ron... ;-)
Like Cakey, I'm a Flickr-er. I'm at http://www.flickr.com/photos/joosyfroot/
I try to offer a few tips with my pics. If there's anything you'd like to know, just post here and I'll try to help.

Cakey

Reaction score
just had a look at your pictures Mark
kin superb

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

just setting Apple TV to view them in HD

Shine

Reaction score
Thanks for the help Ron. I must admit I was lost when I read "D-Lighting", but thankfully Mark has answered that question for me.

Cheers Mark. That bit you put 'To avoid this, point the camera at the foreground and use exposure lock'...... What is the exposure lock? I'll have a total guess and make myself look silly.
It that where I would press the shutter button half down so it focus on the foreground , then move the camera to take the picture.
He asks sheepishly :eek: