Rig tubing - Does colour matter?

Shine

Reaction score
I've used green, brown, black, clear and none all on one lake where I fish. I'm starting to think it doesnt matter about blending it into the lake bed. As long as I find the carp, feed them, I seem to catch them. I dont think they care about the colour of tubing.

Am I right or am I wrong?

Cakey

Reaction score
Ive said on here for years and years that I believe fish spook on what they cant see not on what they can see...............................................

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Personally, i think it's a personal confidence thing with all that type of fishing.
People buy Camo Bivvies because the Carp can't see them?
Personally, if blending your end tackle in helps you fish more confidently, then that's the way to go, but if you can't find the fish it won't make a blind bit of difference to your catch rate.

Chris Frankish 2

Reaction score
It depends.

In crystal clear shallow water it may. What about coloured up or deeper water, not at all.

Rig tubing started off as an anti tangle measure anyway rather than a way to camouflage the rig. I'd concentrate on how well any tubing or leader for that matter sits down onto the lake bed.

The way carp grub about on the bottom I think its more important how things "feel" to them.

Chris Frankish 2

Reaction score
so are you going to go around the whole lake bed "laying it down" ?

You don't need to lay it down around "the whole lake bed" , just the last few feet. Easily done if you're placing your rigs by hand. You can also pin things down using backleads, disguise things better by kicking silt over your tubing/leader/lead.

Casting is obviously a different situation.

I personally don't use tubing, its too stiff and doesnt "lay" itself down very well on anything that isn't a flat bottom. It is a lot more effective if cut into shorter lengths to help it through the ups and downs of the lakebed (you can also alternate colours if you feel you want to break up the "single colour line" of the tubing).

A supple leader aided by either infused tungsten or blobs of tungsten putty is a better solution I believe.

Where any weed or "chod" as its often called then just about any sort of stiff or inflexible tubing or leader is going to end up draped over weed at some distance above the lake bed according to the height of the weed.

Its often better to fish with no leader or tubing whatsoever and slack lines to allow the line to sink as well as it can onto the lakebed.

Frothey

Reaction score
Where any weed or "chod" as its often called then just about any sort of stiff or inflexible tubing or leader is going to end up draped over weed at some distance above the lake bed according to the height of the weed.

won't it just look like a stick?

does make me giggle when people talk about hiding the mainline with tubing......

I normally only use tubing/leadcore these days when I have to (lake rules) - either way doesn't really bother me though.

Cakey

Reaction score
well you lot carry on "hiding your tubing" and Ill carry on making mine look look a twig cause Im very happy with my catch rate

Last edited:

Shine

Reaction score
I found that the light brownish tubing that I use (isnt 'fishing tubing', I was given about 50ft of the stuff) works just as well as all the others I've tried.

Like I said at the start, as long as I find the fish........

I'm sitting here thinking why I started to use tubing in the first place. I was doing ok without it when I started.
It was a guy in the tackle box, I was asking about some rig and he ask me how I tied my rig to the mainline. When I showed him he was all :eek: , no no no, you have to use tubing. Never did tell me why.

Frothey

Reaction score
'cos the mags say so. fair enough if you use braid, but can't see the point with mono - apart from tangles. but then most people use some form of pva these days so they are rare...

well you lot carry on "hiding your tubing" and Ill carry on making mine look look a twig

Don't be ridiculous Cakey, there's no twigs on the bottom of a lake.

Last edited:

noknot

Reaction score
When rig tube was first used it was all black and used as anti-tangle with dacron and early braids, and we caught Carp on it(the dacron was black too) Today I use a running lead, no tube and a hook rig, thats it and it still catches.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
My understanding of using Rig tube i that it has anti tangle qualities for light braidied materials, it is also used to assist pinning your end tackle down on to the lake bed in the weighted varieties, i use to use it were Lead Core was banned.
I wasn't totally 100% sure why i was using it at first but i saw everyone else using it, and back then i was using Kryston braid hook lengths for my Pop Up Fishing.
Colour didn't matter to me, and i still caught fish, but would i have caught more if i had matched the colour of the rig tubing to match the lake bed? I just don't know.

Cakey ....... How do you make your Rig Tubing look like a twig?