Surprised at GMTV headline

Cakey

Reaction score
I was watching the 6am news on GMTV and one of the headlines was Benson the carp had died after being caught 63 times

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I was watching the 6am news on GMTV and one of the headlines was Benson the carp had died after being caught 63 times

Did the TV also happen to mention how old 'Benson' was?

One would imagine that by the time the (good old) BBC get hold of the story it will have been caught 163 times at least, and usually about 4 times a week to boot!

Sad though, as 'Benson' was a fabulous creature.

richiekelly

Reaction score
on sky news this morning they reported that the fish was 25 years old which seems very young for a carp to die is anything being done to find out why it died? could it be the strain of carp or the strain of so many captures

Frothey

Reaction score
that's quite old for some of the fast growing strains - remember they are engineered to grow quickly, they are bred to be food, not pets.....

Reaction score
Believe it or not...the coverage on the Today programme (BBC R4) was pretty good including a sensible interview with the owner of Bluebell lakes. According to the owner unboiled nuts have come under the microscope....some being found in the margins and in the waste bins!!!

The death of Benson was also the front page picture on the Times!!!

(Must be the silly season!)

sagalout

Reaction score
In the times on line this made me chuckle :
Did she suffer from being caught so often? Research by scientists in Edinburgh in 2003 suggested that fish felt pain, although others have reached different conclusions. “It makes you wonder,” Mr Bridgefoot said. “She seemed happy on it. I think she liked having her picture taken.”
I have this mental vision of a carp thinking "Sh*t man I loooook goooood, I think I'll get caught and have me piccies done today", then after being returned "Welll that was nice I might do it again tomorrow, no honest Mable you should try it, tho you need to get your make up sorted first"

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I found this on Sky News, just for those that wanted to read it.

The fish, who was a celebrity among the angling fraternity, was the biggest common carp in the country, weighing in at a huge 64lb 2oz.

"We are all rocked by Benson’s death. She was an iconic carp," said Tony Bridgefoot, the owner of the Bluebell Lakes complex where she lived.

"We are all still trying to come to terms with her death."

Her celebrity status was confirmed in 2005 when she was voted Britain's Favourite Carp by readers of Angler's Mail.

Fishermen would travel miles to her home lake in Cambridgeshire to try to catch her.

She was wily but those who did manage to draw her in were rewarded with a weigh-in and a photograph before she was put back into the lake.

In her 25 years of life - some carp can live up to double that - she was caught more than 60 times.

The cause of her death is unclear but Mr Bridgefoot believes it could be something to do with nuts.

"This looks like the work of some irresponsible anglers," he told The Times.

"Large quantities of nuts have been found on the bank and in the margins; empty bags have also been found in the skips.

"It seems her demise was caused by the introduction of foods that are harmful to fish.

Nuts, which can be used as bait if properly processed, can be fatal.

Benson's final resting place will be near the lake she loved - she is to be mounted and put in the lodge for all those on guided tours to see and admire.

"She's at the taxidermist now," Mr Bridgefoot told Sky News Online. "It's a long process and she probably won't be ready until Christmas."

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Maybe that's why it went on a diet and lost a lot of weight, was worried that it was looking a bit fat in the photos.