Advise for anyone wanting to Start Barbel Fishing.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have never actually fished for Barbel and i was wondering, if i were to want to Start fishing for Barbel what items would you recommend buying so as to see whether you actually enjoy it or not.
Please bear in mind i wouldn't be wanting to spend a fortune, but, on the other hand i wouldn't want to scrimp on anything that could possibly end up causing harm to the Barbel because i was to cheap to buy the correct equipment.

Tight Lines :D

preston96

Reaction score
do you have a light carp rod and reel?....10lb mainline, 8lb hooklink, a few leads and feeders (big ones) .....good hooks and you are off!

preston96

Reaction score
Erm if you are asking you know the answer........a largish net, strong handle.....and a rolled up bit of foam for a mat if funds are tight.

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhh, Paul this is true, but there may also be other people reading this who don't know.
I was just wondering what are the essentials you should have i.e test curve of rod, Reel sizes, any safety equipment

Reaction score
Test curve of rod is a bit tricky Stealph - really depends on the location of your barbel....I've caught in the last fortnight using 1.25, 1.6 and 1.75. The key thing is that there must be a bit of power in the bottom half of the rod to hold a run should you need to avoid snags etc.

Equally I have been fishing a river where 8lb and 6lb BS line would suffice...size of fish and clearish swims; whilst I shall be out with Spiders and Elwin on Thursday with spools full of 12lb and 15lb line.

I've got a Drennan Specimen handle and a Gardener 36" landing net. Strong hooks!! Always carry an unhooking mat where ever I fish...also doubles as a cushion and waterproof covering to keep me legs dry is it rains

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Thank you posh paul, you have been helpful as usual, very much appreciated.

Fred, i must say that the link you posted was an extremely imformative and interesting read, it has allowed me to consider all aspects of Barbel Fishing. You have also been extremely Helpful, not just for myself but for others who may want to also learn more about Barbel fishing.

Paul williams, a big thank you to you also for your contribution, it is also appreciated.

Tight Lines :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
SV rather than buy a load of gear just to see if you enjoy it or not you might be aswell taggin on with someone else who goes fishin for barbel for a session or two and see if you do enjoy it. Just a thought, might save you some pennies.