Death of Benson

dezza

Reaction score
Is strongly featured on BBC News and is reported in the Daily Express.

Of course the BBC are asking the question if catching this fish many times just to return to the water is morally correct. Comment has been made by peta. They have also asked for reaction from readers.

Go to BBC News.

preston96

Reaction score
If Peta are ever to be believed this fish would have been dead years ago!

Reaction score
Sad news about the developing BBC coverage during the day because, as I pointed out on another thread, the coverage by the Today programme on Radio 4 was pretty good, Mind you the Today programme and PM have both given Peta representatives absolute batterings in the past - they must be the militant angling fringe of the Beeb.(exiled to R4 news) Would be good to see/hear Paxo let loose on a Peta rep!!!

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not only that Ron, it's been highlighted on this very Forum at least twice!!

Who is thsi guy Martin Ford, comments like this from him to the BBC are less than helpful!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

"..............and only keep the carp out of the water for a maximum of five minutes in summer, and about double that in winter. "

dezza

Reaction score
Martin Ford Fred is a professional journalist who used to work for Emap (Angling Times) many years ago. I did a small series with Martin on catching big roach in the 1990s which appeared in IYCF.

He also used to edit Barbel Fisher???

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"Raw tiger nuts are toxic to carp" how nice of him to point that out to his non angling readers as though they were the cause - so is de-ozygenised water, pollution, illigally dumped poisons and a myriad other things.

This constant "News of the screws" type sensationalist journalism seems to have been passed on to Mr Bailey, does the man not stop and think what damage statements like that in a public newspaper can do, especially speculative ones from a well known angler that are grist to the mill for anti anglers?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
This constant "News of the screws" type sensationalist journalism seems to have been passed on to Mr Bailey, does the man not stop and think what damage statements like that in a public newspaper can do, especially speculative ones from a well known angler that are grist to the mill for anti anglers?

That is precisely the problem with a number of the 'page stainers' who used to be anglers. They simply don't think about any potential repercussions of their writing.

I sincerely hope that the Angling Times, and/or others, undertake a full and proper piece, inlcuding the fishery owner's thoughts, but then of course this will only be read by anglers and not the general public.

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
It's August... silly season!
Martin's comments were quite painful. What's with 'the carp wanted to visit the bank and see what the world out of water was like'-type comment? It's a bloody fish! Its brain is about 2 per cent the size of a human's and is brain/body mass ratio is so much lower than ours it might as well be an ant!
As for the nut comments and Tony blaming anglers, I suspect he's a bit overwraught about losing both his best fish in four months, because those claims simply won't stand up to scrutiny. I sincerely doubt anything was going on on Kingfisher that wasn't par for the course. You have to dump a sh*t load of uncooked nuts in a water to kill the fish. Where are the other dead carp. Thing was fat and overweight. Like humans that tends to play havock with your life expectancy!

Last edited:

Gary Newman

Reaction score
I didn't think that raw tigers were toxic, more to do with the fact that they swell up inside a fish if they haven't been properly prepared. Peanuts on the other hand can be carcenogenic.

Personally i think John Bailey did a pretty good job of writing something that would give the general public an insight into what all the fuss is about over the death of a fish.