Dried Fruit as Carp Bait?

Lardybloke

Reaction score
Hi,

Watching my mum soaking fruit in brandy for the Xmas cake last night got me wondering, as dried raisins and currants will soak up any water based liquid and therefore could be flavoured, could they or have they been used as bait before? If so has it been successful?

Cheers,

Lard

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I see no reason why they wouldn't work, i watched matt hayes catching carp in Italy with Whole Strawberries hair rigged.
As for flavouring, i wouldn't bother, i would just soak them and use them in there Natural State.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
i've read a couple of articles where raisins have been used for carp, with results. but they was fishing for match size carp. i've often thought about using dried apricots, as they have quite an attractive aroma, which i think might work?

Chris Frankish 2

Reaction score
Sultanas

I've used sultanas before. I actually never caught anything with them but I still think they and other dried fruits are worthy of a bit more time..

A couple of points..

when hair rigging remember to leave ample distance as they do swell an amazing amount. They will soak up flavours but I wouldn't fully rehydrate before use so that some of the lake water is taken in as well.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I recall Jack Hilton giving other anglers at Redmire the run round, with his tales of ''little grey slugs'' for bait. When in reality he was fishing sultana's!!

Bob Reynolds did a similar thing at Billing Aquadrome, claiming his historic catch of carp was taken on banana slices. When he himself told me whilst we were pike fishing at Sywell, that those carp were taken on flavoured bread paste.

Years ago I had a modicum of success, using pieces of date straight from the box. So there is no doubt that dried fruit will work. The remaining question is to what degree when compared to conventional modern baits.

adrian hoare

Reaction score
I've used raisins glugged in maple syrup many years ago , fished at twynersh and they loved that , carp and roach , but everyone then started to use it , so I started using bread paste with honey in it , again they loved that , I'm talking 15yrs or so ago , now just use boilies and pellets

maver man

Reaction score
Spuds marinated in coffee an gravy over night :D
Actually is deadly lol.

Adam

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I've caught roach on tiny bits of fresh fig skin over hemp; I keep meaning to preserve some in salt/sugar mix and fish it punched, but I think I've missed the season again.

Maver Man, whole spuds or slices? Tinned? Punched?