The Magic of Fishing

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
What makes, or made, Fishing, Magic for you?

For me it was being out there with my Dad, when i was only a young lad.
It was not knowing what would be caught that day, and whether, or not, i would catch a fish.
It was about learning, and bonding, to me a days fishing was as good as a Holiday.
My Dad worked hard, and long hours, doing a lot of overtime, so to get to spend that quality time with him fishing, was special.
It didn't matter that sometimes we were cold, or wet, we were fishing.
We didn't have expensive gear, or tackle, and we probaly didn't even know what we were doing, to some extent, but still it didn't matter.

I spent a lot of time in my more mature years, trying to catch more fish, bigger fish, but in all honesty, it didn't make the fishing any more special to me, than just actually going fishing.

For me, the Fishing is Special and the catching of fish is a Bonus.

Tight Lines :D

heathbryant45

Reaction score
Too many to mention, but being at one with nature and seeing many things a lot of people would never see floats my boat.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
For many years now, what has become more apparent to me is the value of good fishing companions.

Although by nature I'm not the gregarious type, I do really value the company of a few close friends. Perhaps it's down to being in the old codger class.

But nowadays the only ''true'' red letter days are those shared with good friends. Those of a certain age will readily identify with my sentiments I hope.

For that is ''real magic''.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
Know what you meen , i met a guy through my wifes works and although he was a sea fisherman , i did finally about 2 years ago talk him into coming with me. I lent him some gear for a couple of times until he was hooked and now he cant get enough. Through teaching him what i know about course fishing , i have become more relaxed with my own. And in a way this has done me a power of good too. We have become good friends over this time and have shared some good and bad days. But always managed a laugh and some good banter, and quite frankly even though i have always been a loner, i realy love our days out and look forward to it all week. He is a great bloke and great company. Through this last year i have suffered some illness in mind and body , and i think our friendship and fishing has helped me through somewhat. But i am ok now ? i think and enjoying more days out . long may they last. Chubber.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Fishign with Spider, Poshers and Steve King was a great day out - none of us "bagged up" don't believe Spiders when he says he caught 500 roach all over 2lb, we had an extended lunch break - very relaxing

farleybob

Reaction score
I think it was going down the river in the village with a rod and reel and a baccy tin full of worms and catching my first trout when I was about 7 years old, I hadn't really got a clue what I was doing but it made me feel king of the world... over the next couple of years I must have decimated the wild trout stocks in that river, and I now hate the taste of it...

slime monster

Reaction score
Fishing is unique as a sport/ hobby /pastime/call it what you will, anglers are a melting pot of all classes without any predjudice, it is what you want it to be and where is entirely up to the individual ,life long friendships are formed amongst anglers and where other interests come and go or are restricted by age you can remain an angler
these are a few of my thoughts on the magic of angling

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It's all of the above....

The memories, the friendships, the one that got away, the one that didn't! Like Wol said "the things we see". It's awesome! We sit on the bank at one with nature, nature goes on around us while 'we' are doing our thing.

Try to explain it to a non-fisher and they will say we are 'barking', but we know what it means to 'us' and long may it continue.......

One thing I would really love to happen is to get a shot of a kingfisher perched on my rod, it's nearly happened, but I was too slow with the camera......gutted! But I know I'll get another chance.

It's not all about fishing........

The bad one

Reaction score
It is the essence of my life!
Many things have changed over my life, but angling has always been there!

John Heelis

Reaction score
For me fishing has become a sort of oasis, where for a few hours I can get away from the pressures and stresses of the real world.

I sit there quite happy watching my float, admiring the wildlife and every once in a while I get the excitement of catching a fish. It has made me very relaxed and better equiped to deal with the little problems that life delivers us.

Chris Season32

Reaction score
--- snip---. One thing I would really love to happen is to get a shot of a kingfisher perched on my rod, it's nearly happened, but I was too slow with the camera......gutted! But I know I'll get another chance.

It's not all about fishing........

I bet you can still picture it perfectly in your mind Steve, that makes the experience unique. :) A photo deosn't convay the thrill and atmosphere. That real life contact draws me back continually.

I enjoy good company but also enjoy solo adventures equally. For me fishing is like that daft game 'whack a mole', you just get one aspect of it pinned down when another pops back up. Angling has many facets and I've enjoyed them all equally, they just take turns being at the forefront of the bit of brain I permantly reserve for fishing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Standing watching fisherman in Cassiobury Park, Watford as a five year old I was hooked (as well as soaked -cos I'd waded into the water like the fishermen). it was another 7 years before i got that rod and reel..

When I 'm fishing I still find the inner excitement and thrill of that five year old..it's never ever gone.

(And sometimes when I 'm fishing with Spiders, Corkers and M'lud...and on the odd occasion on this forum...I still behave like a five year old but...heh...keeps you young!!)

quattro

Reaction score
Good topic SV after some threads have got a bit "heavy" of late:rolleyes:
The magic of fishing is indefinable, and as Steve says cannot be explained to the uninitiated. I think Poshpaul has summed it up. It's that "inner excitement" which has been with me unabated since my first trip as a child more than 50 years ago. Woven into this is the mix of being "at one" with nature, getting away from it all, complete change of scenery and routine of work and so many other things different for each of us.
Just writing this has got me going:rolleyes: It's a beautiful day, I've got the gear and bait, and about two weeks work to do in two days (and my car's fu**ed:(:mad:)

klik2change

Reaction score
Picture this. A tiny pond in the corner of a field, in the wilds of Cheshire; surrounded with deep green bushes and low hanging trees, trailing branches in the water. It's a hot day with copper sunshine. Two 12 year old boys wearing shorts and wellies [which we took off in the heat], are totally entranced by tiny crucian carp: scorched backs, creaking baskets, muddy feet, boxes of maggots, a bite every cast from fish that had probably never seen a hook before. The day could not last long enough.

The odd thing is - and this is absolutely true - I could never find that pond again, despite two or three bike rides looking for it.

My very first time. I was about ten or eleven. My mum and me visiting my [much older] brother and his wife. As a small boy, I always became irritable when I was bored. So my brother took me out for a short walk, to the end of the field behind his house. A pond in a little dip in the corner. He lent me his tank aerial, already tackled up, and left me to it with a few pieces of bread. They all thought I would be back in ten minutes - but about four hours later, my brother had to drag me back to the house so we could go home. The tank aerial was mine from then on. It's a good job I was a strong lad or I wouldnt have been able to lift it, never mind fish with it. I came across it many years later and was amazed at how heavy it was. Yes I did catch. My first fish was, as i remember, a roach, about 4 inches long. I was hooked, never mind the fish.

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
But nowadays the only ''true'' red letter days are those shared with good friends. Those of a certain age will readily identify with my sentiments I hope.

For that is ''real magic''.

That is why I treasure my membership of 'The last Of The Summer Wine Club'
aka the CSG :) www.chubstudygroup.co.uk as the link tool isn't working ;)

The only sadness in my fishing life is that my son never showed an interest.
I thought he would grow out of the 'drink, rock & roll and women' stage when he 'matured'...he's now 40 and I'm still waiting.
Mind, locking him the car for most of the day after he'd annoyed every angler on the banks of the river Tweed within 2 miles didn't help :wh
He'd probably be taken into care these days

When I was young and went every where on my bike, there was a water spring that came out of a rock face close to one of the lakes I used to fish, I can remember the taste even now, just like the famous 'mountain stream', and was like being in heaven after a long bike ride. I've looked for that spring a few times since when Ive been back home but never been unable to find it.

I can remember a few years back fishing the Gt Ouse across a lovely grassy meadow, miles away from anywhere, down a lovely old country lane. A great days fishing and a pleasant walk back to...

...my mates new Golf GTI with the windows smashed in :mad:

Is it just me or is everyone having a problem with the 'insert a link' tool??

Last edited: