Angling Trust to make cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Oops, made my post under the other thread before I saw this. Here it is again:
There was massive publicity, threads on this forum, articles in the angling press (weekly and monthly): coverage everywhere.
Less than 1% of anglers have joined. That is SO disappointing. If our fishing continues to deteriorate we have no one to blame but ourselves. Get your cheque books out!
I suppose now we'll get a whole series of moaning, I-told-you-so, I pay enough already, posts :rolleyes:
progress.gif

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You may well be right about the moaners.

Look, I wasn't too happy about the £20 and voicd my opinion to those that count, but the decision was by then made.

I did think they might get to their 100,000 target though. There's been plenty of information around, sent out with licences too so what's happened with that? Have anglers been throwing them away because they can't read, many say they still don't know.

It's just typical, IMO, of today's angler. They never read about anything unless it's the latest bag-up rig or review of a hot spot. They have lost a sense of history and I know Ron Clay goes on about **** Walker, but just how many anglers, some of them old bu**ers like us, have never heard about him?

It's just a crying shame that we have in angling some of the most disenfrachised particpants of all sports and we can't seem to educate them at all or bring them together with a purpose of belonging.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Hardly surprising the numbers NOT joining up Jeff, its the same old same old; anglers are just too apathetic.

What I have seen is that the EA is sending people out who they shouldn't be; In June I attended the EA Northumbria Area Fisheries Forum in Newcastle where the new A.T. regional rep gave a presentation on the A.T. /A.D.B. and why we should all join. Oh how I wished the ground would open and swallow me up.

May be the AT should start up a Forum Board for the membership, it has enough highly paid staff to operate one at no extra cost to members.
£20/year for my very own forum, plus all the benefits of the AT come FREE. Great I'll sign up today :confused:

It's exactly the same with the current bye-law consultation process re returning fish...less than 50 I believe have so far responded, just how many postings have there been on this site alone by 'upset anglers' ranting about fish being removed from their waters...usually by faceless individuals, but its affecting them directly. Do something to benefit someone else, forget it!
I have replied individually and for my club by post, couldn't register through the EA web site...is it a ploy :rolleyes:to keep replies down?

In the NE one of the EA fisheries officers put a posting on a couple of local web sites asking for ideas from anglers re its approach to improving the river Wear as a coarse fishery. That was back in February and they still await a reply.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
I quote the following:

"Let me say at once that the angler is his own worst enemy, in more ways than one. He leaves huge quantities of litter at the waterside, which includes discarded line that entangles birds, causing them suffering and death. His discarded plastic bags, tins, and broken bottles injure and sometimes kill farm animals. Not uncommonly he leaves gates open, allowing these animals to stray. Specially if he is a sea angler, he treats his capture cruelly, often before the eyes of large numbers of non-anglers. Not all behave so; too many do.

While the angler is extravagant in his purchase of tackle and bait, he is parsimonious in the extreme in supporting his own organisations that strive to prevent damage to his own fishing facilities. Out of three million anglers, only 20,000 join the Angler's Co-operative Association which fights pollution of waters to an extent solely determined by its finances. He turns down a proposal to increase subscriptions to the NFA by 3p per year."

Richard Walker

This was written ca 1983. Things don't change do they?

And in 20 years hence when angling as a sport has gone, people will say: "Why didn't we join the Angling Trust en masse?"

Reaction score
This is distressing news. Firstly my thoughts are for those staff of the Angling Trust who have lost their jobs. I suspect some of them may have had a "secure" post with their original organisation and have now suffered an awful experience.

Like many I am at a loss at what can be done? Should we expect organisations/companies that do "well" out of fishing to do more...perhaps the Cudmores, Rutland Waters etc of this world add a levy to their fees? How do we get the message to the vast majority who either seem not to realise the importance of organisations such as the Angling Trust or simply couldn't give a t**s or rely on the sense and sensibilities of others?

No point in suggesting a levy on the licence - neither political party would guarantee it going to the fisheries element of the EA.

However I am increasingly beginning to believe that the only way to fund organisations such as the Angling Trust is compulsion.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I agree with Posh Paul; make AT membership part of the licence fee. Meanwhile, I'll be doing my bit to get some new recruits in - carrying a bundle of printed applications. You can print the form from THIS page

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
In June I attended the EA Northumbria Area Fisheries Forum in Newcastle where the new A.T. regional rep gave a presentation on the A.T. /A.D.B. and why we should all join. Oh how I wished the ground would open and swallow me up.

We had a TFCC meetign a few weeks ago, even Andy nellist attended, at which the AT were represented and like you I was disappointed. To be frank, Mike Heylin stood up and spoke and gave out more information than we heard from the AT guys, although Mike is a director, I think. Anyway, Mike is, as far as I am concerned, one of their best spokespeople.

Mark, there are all sorts of legal reasons why they cannot put a levy on the licence, but oh how I wish.

I am still not convinced that it present method of administration is perfect, but as I've said elsewhere, what can you expect from a baby that is just 7 months old? It will take time to sort everythign out and get it streamlined, but for the moment it needs cash flow fast.

Question, where's that £1.4m or so that was pledged by Sport England? Or was that a false promise? I'd like to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.