Weather

kimberfoster

Reaction score
How much does the weather effect fishing??

If so whats the best/worst weather, how does the rain effect feeding etc?

Seem to be blanking every time it rains which isn't good at the moment cause thats all it seems to do.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
The weather has a profound affect on Fishing.
The only downside that it isn't always a consistant outcome.
Just because it is raining, doesn't mean that you won't catch.
The same goes for all weather conditions.
The only weather conditions i am totally positive that i won't catch in is during a Lightning Storm , cause i will be legging it to the safety of my car until it has passed.
All though Float Fishing in a really heavy fog will hamper you're chances some what, you may well get a bite but you won't bloody see it lol "Sorry" Hee Hee :D

Tight Lines

kimberfoster

Reaction score
How are you fishing mate and what species are you fishing for?

Mainly float fishing. I'm after what ever i can get as i'm pretty new to the game so anything is a bonus at the moment.

Would you alter the depth depending on the weather/temperature?

Looks good weather for this weekend so going to try and get a day at it at some point.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Are you on a river or lake?

The weather shouldn't really affect things, the only time it could is after a really hard frost with a big temp drop.

My advice would be to accurately plumb the depth, on or just off bottom should get you some bites. Maggots casters and hemp should do the trick, small hooks and fine lines, unless you're on a lake and have the chance of hooking a carp or tench.

Good luck.
Steve.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
My advice would be to accurately plumb the depth, on or just off bottom should get you some bites. Maggots casters and hemp should do the trick, small hooks and fine lines, unless you're on a lake and have the chance of hooking a carp or tench.

Just don't put the Maggots, Casters and Hemp all on the small hook at the same time :D

Bluenose

Reaction score
Amp, with respect, try and draw your own conclusions from the waters you fish. Sure the advice that you get here will be good but it will only be applicable to the members' own experiences, on the waters they fish, not yours and as already said all waters are different on any given day.

Just go out fishing in all weathers and conditions mate, provided it is safe to do so. Some days you will blank but other days you will get a result. Also try to put together a log on your pc, using excel or something similar, that way you can see the patterns over a period of time.

The 'problem' if you like with looking too much into weather and conditions is that it can sometimes put you off going fishing, when you may actually be in with a good chance. Last winter we had major frosts locally for several weeks, my local river was very low, very clear and very cold, the banks were frozen solid and deserted. Fishing through the late afternoon into the dark throughout that cold spell I never blanked, had I listened to the weatherman and thought too much about the conditions, I would never have set foot out the door.

LstoryS "You'll catch eff all sat in the 'ouse"

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"Looks good weather for this weekend so going to try and get a day at it at some point."
"Day" might be the problem, you might be packing up too early - in the long days, fish tend not to bother with the "broad daylight" hours; dusk is probably the key time to be on the water - try a black-topped float in the reflection of the last light, and take a torch for packing up! (Some rate first light highly, too, but I'm just too lazy to be able to express an opinion...)
Adjust timing before driving yourself nuts trying to analyse the weather. And to contradict myself, forget it in the winter if there's an East wind.

quattro

Reaction score
I think what puts fish off is a sudden change in weather, the onset of heavy rain can reduce water temperature enough to put them off (still water that is). I've always found that bright sunny days are less productive, and that overcast is much better. I've heard it said that bream will bite more confidently if there is a ripple on the water.
The worst weather for me is wind, esp fishing the pole:eek:

kimberfoster

Reaction score
I did choose a different spot to fish but yesterday landed 4 fish in the sun. Best few hours yet.