Using Leadcore Safely

GertR

Reaction score
Guys
I need to understand this correctly.
A couple of months ago we had quite a debate on the use of leadcore and the fact that it is banned on some UK waters on another forum.

Now my question have 2 side's i will first ask the one regarding leadcore and as soon as i am sattisfied that i understand this correctly i will ask the second question regarding the use of Tubing.

Is it correct if i am saying that the use of safety clips with leadcore is dangerous and that that is the reason why leadcore or part of the reason that leadcore on some waters is banned?
Meaning with a safety clip even though the safety clip will move over the leadcore the hooklink is still attatched to the leadcore via the swivel and with a break off on the mainline the fish will be trailing the leadcore and the hooklink will not brake then?

Do i understand it correctly here?

Last edited:

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I personally don't use lead clips anyway, I'm not convinced that they would always release the lead without significant pressure. There are other ways of producing a bolt rig effect with semi fixed leads like this one for example.

There is always the danger that if your mainline breaks rather than the hooklength the fish will have a length of line attached and this is no different if leadcore is used.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Meaning with a safety clip even though the safety clip will move over the leadcore the hooklink is still attatched to the leadcore via the swivel and with a break off on the mainline the fish will be trailing the leadcore and the hooklink will not brake then?

Hello GertR,

What is the difference between that and a normal Mono main line?
If the mainline snaps and there is no Leadcore on it, the safety clip will still be able to slide off the mainline, and the fish will still not be able to to snap the hook length.
What generally would happen is, the fish would eventually eject the hook "hopefully".
I have seen carp anglers using 15lb mainline and a 20lb hook length, whether it be braid, coated braid, flourocarbon or just plain Mono, what chance is there of the Hook length snapping first?

http://www.carp-fishing-tactics.com/leadcore-rigs-lead-clips.html

Have a look at this, i found this on a Carp Fishing Site.

Tight Lines :D

GertR

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Stealth Viper that link are really now helpnig allot thank you.

How long do you guys make the leadcore?
Would 75cm be ok?

GertR

Reaction score
OK Thanks.

Another question.

If for example you guys are using 12Lb mainline do you still then attach a leader lets say 18Lb mono in between the mainline and the Leadcore?

Reason i am asking is i am use to be casting with 18Lb mono leaders for distance?

GertR

Reaction score
what size lead are you using? might as just well use 15lb mono (most break at much higher than that).

OK let me ask it this way what size lead would i be able to cast with 12Lb mono without crack offs?

Looking at 2 to 3oz Leads?

I was thinking of doing this Frothey would just be easier but i need the low diameter of the 12Lb line for distance?
Really need to be able to whack the lead as far as i can go towards some reeds on the opposite side.

Frothey

Reaction score
what distance is it?

you should be able to hit 100yds with a 3oz lead and without a leader fairly comfortably.

if you were really "hitting" leads, then you should really use 10lb/oz + 10lb - so a 3oz lead should really use a 40lb leader. i would also drop to 10lb line too.

GertR

Reaction score
what distance is it?

Frothey i reckon i am looking at about 150 to 180 Yards to the reeds.
Don't know if i will come near but the nearer the better.

Thanks for the advice will spool up some extra spools then with 10Lb line too.

So you guys are using leaders then with the leadcore too?

Thanks for the help with the leadcore questions then guys.

Now for MONO.

My question is this.

If you use tubing on your line with a leader is your tubing able to move back over the knot between the mainline and the leader.
I read many times before that the tubing must clear the knot for it too be safe?
According to me this almost never happens.
For example.

If the new tubing from rig marole is being used the one with the aluminium inside to lay down tight on the bottom i am now talking about the one with the smaller diameter,
There is no way that this tubing could move over the leader knot.
To be honest i used tubing allot before but want to make sure now that my rigs are safe and according to me it is just almost near impossible for the tubing to clear the leader knot?

Even if the rest of the terminal tackle is setup to be safe according to my understanding the tubing with a leader just basically renders the whole setup unsafe?

Is this correct or am i doing something wrong?
My knot is done correctly and very neat but i do not see how the tubing will be clearing a setup like this?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Gertr,

When ever you are fishing, make sure that all and any components added to your mainline can pass over knots or be ejected freely and easily, if you have any doubts just don't use them.
Try tubing with a wider bore so that you are sure that it will pass over all your knots.

Tight Lines :D

GertR

Reaction score
OK Thanks Guys a few things has been cleared up to me with this thread.

Thank you for all your replies.

Frothey

Reaction score
the first thing i would do is get the lake up on google maps, and use the distance measuring tool to measure the cast - if you can accurately cast 180yds with a baited rig, 12lb line a 3oz lead and 18lb leader, then you shouldn't be asking questions like this!

if you are just looking to get nearer, then being 50-60yds away rather than 70-80 yds away wont make that much of a difference if the fish stay near the reeds. just find fish that aren't hugging the reeds!

tubing will never slide over the knot - so long as one way or another the lead will slide/eject from it, then that's all you can do

noknot

Reaction score
Is it not possible to reach these reed areas from closer swims? Medium range fishing is a lot easier and the set ups are more basic, also you could then bait the areas? If leadcore or leaders are not needed, then all the better IMO as a basic set up will always be a safer one.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
At that kind of distance, if you have to cast it rather than sit closer, do you need leadcore at all?

Your mainline will never be tight to the lead anyhow so will be sitting pretty much on the bottom for some distance back from the lead.