Angling Trust...the way forward?

Bluenose

Reaction score
In view of the statement made by the Angling Trust, what do the AT now need to do to carry things foward? Currently, membership accounts for less than 1% of all anglers, so what does the AT need to do to increase the membership?

Old Nick

Reaction score
They need to find a way to get their message across to ALL anglers without paying a fortune for PR and advertising - a tie up with EA? local fishing clubs? magazines? FM?

the options are endless!

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Is there a reason the AT is registered as a 'Company' and not a 'Charity' ?

Bluenose

Reaction score
I blindly took a leap of faith in joining the AT, something which I certainly do not regret, however as other FM members have pointed out in other threads £20 is a decent sum of money when you are a bit skint, and I wonder if this is something which could and should be looked at?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of trying to e mail the Angling Trust, just so that i can ask them, what the £20.00p i would have to pay would actually give me for the money, i am open minded about it, and i would be interested to hear exactly what they have to say.
However, every time i click on the e mail link on there website it keeps throwing up a message that says " Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed ".
I shall continue to try to contact them directly, but this doesn't look great.
I do agree that they obviously need a better PR Campaign that what they currently have, how they will achieve that is purely by putting themselves out there visibly, so that it is obvious exactly what they are and what they do and plain to see and understand.

Tight Lines :D

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:45 ----------

I have managed to contact AT by typing there admin e mail contact address in, but the link still isn't working. :D

Robert Woods

Reaction score
The £20 joining fee put me off. They should half it to £10. One thing that put me off ACA in past was glossey magazine they sent me. A simple newsletter would save money as well.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Stealph, that message means you haven't configured your copy of Windows so it knows what email client to launch. It's not an AT website problem. From your Start button, look for Default Programs. From here it varies depending whther you're a Vista or XP user, but it's Program Access or similar. Make sure your preferred email client is selected and enabled, then try again. If all else fails, right click the email address on the AT site, select "copy email address" and paste it into the To: field in a new email in your email client or webmail service. You may need to delete "Mailto:" that may prefix the actual email address.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Xplorer1,

I have already typed the admin e mail address in to my e mail and sent the message.
But, thank you for trying to Help.

Tight Lines :D

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
I had difficulty joining online, going back to Jan/Feb.

I thought it might have been due to some confusion with the old ACA database.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Yes, i watched it and Yes it was interesting viewing. :D

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

I wonder how many people see my screen name next to a Thread that has Angling Trust in it and thinks to themselves .................... sh*t what's he wrote this time lol :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder how many people see my screen name next to a Thread that has Angling Trust in it and thinks to themselves .................... sh*t what's he wrote this time lol

I can't speak for anyone else SV; but I believe that everyone who contributes to a thread has an equal voice, and it is worth reading their thoughts.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Before this gets silly and petty and personal lets concentrate on the job at hand...

The way forward for the Angling Trust

I think the problems are to do with not getting thier message across in formats that are likely to engage the imagination of the angling public

and by that I mean the angling public are simply a cross section of the British public and unfortunatley the British public have been "Dummed down" considerably over the last few years and apathy rules.

This is not a good place for us to be because it allows the minority to rule the majority.

The AT has to engage the public on a very base level therefore otherwise they will simply be shooting over thier heads.

What would i do?

1. Employ all the "known faces" that are of a mind to be of use as recruitment officers
2. Free junior membership (with benefits)
3. Staggered levels of membership ( bronze, silver, gold and platinum) It is better to have 25% of something than all of nothing and when it comes to lobbying a group that speaks for 500k members will get more attention than one that speaks for 40K
4. More public fund raising events
5. Clean-ups Lots and lots of clean ups...Nothing improves neutral peoples perception of angling than seeing clean fishing environments with anglers being pro-active towards the environment in which we practice our sport/hobby

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"What can the AT do to increase membership?"

Not a fat lot really because the main bone of contention seems to be the £20 per annum fee and not the principle objects of the trust. We are forever reading and saying that anglers are their own worst enemy because of their apathy, joining an organisation like the AT would be something that a lot of anglers "couldn't be bothered doing" because they think it has nothing in it for them. Ask them to pay £20 for the privelege and the result is that 99% won't even consider it.

Those same anglers that can't afford £20 (or so they say) will happily fork out hundreds of pounds for the gear they fish with when they could fish equally as effectively for a fraction of that cost by using cheaper (but just as good) tackle. Some of those anglers will go out every Friday night and buy £30 pounds worth of beer but they really can't afford £20 a year (less than 50p every Friday night) to support the sport they are supposed to love.

As in all walks of life there are givers and takers but by far the vast majority are takers and no amount of publicity will make them change. In the final analysis it is up to the individual to decide whether he considers it a worthwhile organisation to support and no amount of persuasion will change most peoples mind.

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Why don't they allow people to pay by Direct Debit on a Monthly Basis.
It would be £1.67p a month for an Individual Member and would look a lot more of an attractive proposal to some people.
If a payment is missed then the Members Menbership can be cancelled. :D

klik2change

Reaction score
I dont know if anyone else has noticed, but the membership of AT has risen by nearly 50% since their press release. I am member no. 50908. I joined yesterday. Cause for hope, surely?

As for the future, what is always most important is for the errors to be recognised, however uncomfortable or challenging, BEFORE doing anything else. THEN there must be focused action taken to rectify them. Basic comments? tautological even? Yes, but many of us know, including me, that action plans often are anything but - however it is where change must start.