Unhooking eels

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I've recently had a look at the National Anguilla club site. Their reccomendation is to leave the hook behind in any deep hooking situation and cut the line as close to the eels mouth as is safely possible. Good advice IMO. Eels and disgorgers do not generally mix well. I've found in the past that, despite their tough exteriors, eels are incredibly easily damaged by probing around the throat area with such implements as disgorgers.

Anyway, I think I may have come up with a helpful way of lessening the impact of any hooks that have to be left behind, and I thought I'd pass the tip on for consideration by other eel anglers.

The simple change I've made is to create my hooklength from a loop. I.e I form a loop of around 6-8" depending on how I'm fishing. By attaching the hook onto the extended loop, in the event of a deeply hooked eel, I can simply snip one side of the loop with scissors and pull ALL of the hooklength material free of the eels mouth/throat, leaving absolutely nothing but the hook behind.

Any comments chaps?