Fish Acceleration

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Definately pike in short bursts, never seen anything to equal them.

I read a paper once where a speed of 34/36 mph were recorded. I believe it was a Canadian research team.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Here is a list of the Worlds 10 Fastest Recorded Fish

FISH max. recorded speed
(kph) (mph)
Sailfish
110 68

Marlin
80 50

Wahoo
78 48

Tunny
74 46

Bluefish tuna
70 44

Great blue shark
69 43

=7.
Bonefish
65 40

=8.
Swordfish
64 40

=9.
Four-winged flying fish
56 35

=10.
Tarpon
56 35

Tight Lines :D

dezza

Reaction score
Amongst UK freshwater fish I would put over short distances, the pike is number 1, followed by rainbow trout in good condition, blue trout particularly.

Long lean wild carp used to be pretty good, although I think there is a dearth of these now more's the pity.

Of the freshwater species I have caught in the world, Tigerfish are not bad, Yellowfish are really exceptional and small mouth bass can motor too.

But nothing in freshwater can touch a few of the saltwater species. Yellowtailed Kingfish, Queenfish, Tailor (called bluefish in USA and shad in South Africa), Bonefish and certainly the mullet which migrates into our waters in the summer.

But probably nothing in terms of acceleration from a standing start can beat a Springer or Ladyfish - Elops machnata. These things do not grow big, maybe no more than 8 lbs, yet the speed that they can reach in a few seconds is phenomenal.

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Been told their mums will smash ya before ya know it!

My Mum must be a Grinner then, she used to smack me before i went out, and when i said ....... what was that for?
She would reply .......... that's cause i know you're going to do something and i won't be there to see it, and she'd be grinning. :D

Last edited:

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I was watching a couple of small pike in the Nene a few weeks ago. Lobbing in a few pebbles at a shoal of fry, I inched them towards the waiting pike.
When they attacked, you literally could not see their movement, they were so quick, and they managed to get back to their stations.
Stealph: there's a PM for you

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I was watching a couple of small pike in the Nene a few weeks ago. Lobbing in a few pebbles at a shoal of fry, I inched them towards the waiting pike.
When they attacked, you literally could not see their movement, they were so quick, and they managed to get back to their stations.
Stealph: there's a PM for you

Mark, some years ago, a couple of mates and me had a unique opportunity to watch pike at close quarters, and, how they reacted to free swimming bait, and angler's baits. That opportunity lasted for a number of years, and we made the most of it. Often not fishing at all, realising that here was a chance afforded very few anglers, our own giant aquarium if you will. What was most striking was the range that some fish (and big fish) could cover almost in the blink of an eye. Some of those fish covered a distance of between 8 and 15 feet in a flash, but only once they had located the prey by eyesight! Prior to that it seemed to us they behaved in a manner much like the tail gunner in a plane. Slowly turning in the direction of any disturbance, be that sub-surface or on top, then slowly moving forwards, presumably until eyesight came into play. This is a very condenced version of what actually happened, only possible due to a high vantage point, and very clear water.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Absolutely, Derek. That was the behaviour I observed. They turned almost by magic and, as you say, as if they were trying to get a fix on something with radar, before they shot out into the shoal so fast you literally could not see them go.
They were just babbies about 4oz but doing what pike do

The Monk

Reaction score
I believe Mc Wallets is pretty fast too, he once dropped 5p and he was that fast bending down to pick it up, it hit him on the back of the head on the way down, lol