Boilie bans

farleybob

Reaction score
Just thought I would ask why so many coarse/carp fisheries ban boilies these days? Is it to benefit the matchmen/pole fishermen,are they harmful to the fish in some way? There does really seem to be an answer when this question was recently brought up at my club.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
That is a tough question philbo.

It could be down to poor information.
People dumping kilo's and kilo's of boillies in to one swim.
It isn't seen as a natural food source, but then you would have to ban pellets, corn, meat etc
They don't want hoards of carp anglers fishing there waters.

No real answer other than to ask the fishery owners themselves as to why they have banned boillies.

Tight Lines :D

farleybob

Reaction score
I cannot see any reason myself, it is no different to any bait being dumped into the water, some on my club seem to think it is because the pole matchmen are worried it would put the fish off their particular pellet and paste baiting techniques. When the question is asked there does not seem to be any logical answer to it.

Chris Frankish 2

Reaction score
Overstocked Commercials

I think you may find Phil that most of the waters with any sort of bait ban or limit to quantity of bait used will be the overstocked commercial day ticket venues. Because these places operate a stock level way above the natural balance for a biomass of fish in a given acreage theres more danger of problems arising from excessive nitrate levels or low levels of dissolved oxygen. Excessive uneaten bait can help to tilt things towards the danger level.

A usual giveaway to places that ram their waters to the gunnels with fish are aerators in the water, paddle or pump, in an effort to keep the oxygen levels up.

Some owners or clubs just have a thing about boilies, usually match oientated clubs:D.

In lakes with a balanced fish to acreage stocking good quality boilies going into the water help the fish to grow, heal and stay healthy. I also believe that any un eated bait (I'm talking about quality food baits here not cheap shelf lifes) gets taken care of by the lake's population of crustaceans and chironomids thus helping the lake to sustain a good level of natural food for the fish.

strut5a

Reaction score
It's amazing how many fisheries ban boilies unless you buy them on site, I don't suppose profit has anything to do with it, or am I just being cynical?

Nathan

Reaction score
I've fished a lake where they ban boilies other than 10mils as hookbaits & to be honest i've found that if you try them they're not as good as sweetcorn or other 'natural' baits. Not sure if it's because its what they're used to but takes seem to slow up on boilies.

I think the ban is in place due to people putting them in by the bucket load & ruining other people's fishing.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
When i Carp fished regularly, i decided to try Tiger Nuts, they're a great bait, but i made sure that i did a lot of research on them first.
Luckily a guy at dave's of Middlewich Tackle shop, explained everything to me, about Pre soaking and suggested that i have a look at the HINDERS web site.
It wasn't until i was comfortable with knowing that i had minimised any damage being caused to the Carp that i then used them.
Boillies are a great bait, but like a lot of things, they get misused.
Some lakes even ban Hemp and other nuts, not that they're a **** bait, but people don't know how to prepare them properly and there is a risk of damage to the fish if not prepared properly.

Cakey

Reaction score
theres a story that when the local lake was drained down they took 2 tons of boilies away and back in them days there was more shelf life boilies around than frozen so I suppose they didnt break down

supgen

Reaction score
I have to confess I've never used boilies :eek: they are dead expensive and there are other baits out there that have no problem catching carp. But then again I've never fished a water with problems of other small coarse fish taking the bait.

My fave carpy hookbaits would be maize, pepperami and maggots, especially the rubber ones on the hook in conjuction with a pva bag of maggots.

Shine

Reaction score
On one lake where I fish there is no boilies in any form, no maize - no nuts and a big no no on sweetcorn. One lake that was drained had so much sweetcorn left in it they swore it would never happen again. You cant even use fake corn there.
I seem to do ok on 12mm Sonubaits crab Pellet O's.

quickcedo

Reaction score
The only problem with boilies is fishermen not understanding what they are using. Modern high attract, low food value baits work very well until the fish wise up to the fact they have no benefit to them. anglers then through more in to try to entice the fish to feed. The baits then sit there rotting - slowly. If good food value baits were fed this problem takes much longer to materialise, by which time bait fad and fashion would have changed anyway thus negating the situation. The main problem is cheap shelf life baits. They are cheap or a reason! Unfortunately this means Mr average can afford to throw more in which leads to boilies being banned.

Foxy

Reaction score
I fished a lake where the noddys filled the owners head with loads of mis informed info about boilies so he banned them, we then watched the same noddys stock 6 tins of cat meat in. sigh

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I remember a conversation I once had with the late Vic Gillings about the draining of Fox Pool in the early 80s. They couldn't get all the water out but got it right down. There they found several areas where bars had formed, comprised of huge numbers of unrotted boilies!

Most bait bans are due to ignorance on behalf of the controlling club. When they have trouble ascertaining if there is any truth to the allegation that bait(X) is harmful, rather than take any chances, they just ban it. Better safe than sorry etc. In the 60s it was hempseed 'drugging' the fish, then we had 'nuts swell in the bellies' so all kinds of nut bans, joker bans (too effective and only for the rich!), pellet bans due to high oil contents, and even peanut bans because they were not 'human grade' - how stupid is that!

Bill Cox

Reaction score
I suppose it could be said of any bait that used to excess it will cause problems, never ceases to amaze me that even today people will fish close in on a small pond and feel the need to put out 10kilos of boilies.:confused: