guaranteed river barbel

redalert06

Reaction score
Next week I have a week off and want to catch a barbel. Down in the south west there isn't anyway I can go and easily target them.

I'm not bothered about size but want to go somewhere where I should easily catch a couple. I'm expecting to have to fish the feeder but it would be nice to have a go on the float for them as well.

Where is the nearest river stretch I can visit to be guaranteed a Barbel, I was going to stay up the night then fish the day and drive back home with a mate.

I was thinking of somewhere on the wye or severn?

If possible I'd like to go somewhere with easy access but not be bothered by boats and rowers

cheers for any suggestions!

njb51

Reaction score
Guaranteed barbel?........................................good luck with that! :)

Bluenose

Reaction score
I think the Wye is your best bet but you'd need to do a bit of homework on stretches that sell day tickets, I'm sure a local shop would put you right however!

Further north the middle severn around Bewdley, Bridgnorth or Ironbridge would possibly be 'easier' to catch a shoalie barbel but the extra distance would be a ball ache.

redalert06

Reaction score
I know nothing is guaranteed but I know someone can tell me to go somewhere we'll have a good chance of catching. like I said not really bothered about the size just want to catch a couple. the extra distance to the severn is fine, didn't really want to go as far as the trent really.

klik2change

Reaction score
Knowing the west side of the country quite well, getting up to the Severn is a simple matter of the M5 and M6. I dont know if there is anywhere in south Wales for barbel - perhaps the Taff, which emerges in Cardiff, or somewhere like that. The Wye valley is absolutely stunning of course. I have never fished below the upper Severn, and that was when I was a kid.

The Trent is fishing very well though. I know people who go to Bewdley [plenty of dayticket barbel I believe] one week and Newark [on the Trent] the next. From the south west, take the A46 from Bath straight to Newark. It's not as far as you think. I have met people from Bristol there before now. A1 pits, just outside Newark, fishing brilliantly. Try their website, you'll see...

Last edited:

redalert06

Reaction score
Knowing the west side of the country quite well, getting up to the Severn is a simple matter of the M5 and M6. I dont know if there is anywhere in south Wales for barbel - perhaps the Taff, which emerges in Cardiff, or somewhere like that. The Wye valley is absolutely stunning of course. I have never fished below the upper Severn, and that was when I was a kid.

The Trent is fishing very well though. I know people who go to Bewdley [plenty of dayticket barbel I believe] one week and Newark [on the Trent] the next. From the south west, take the A46 from Bath straight to Newark. It's not as far as you think. I have met people from Bristol there before now. A1 pits, just outside Newark, fishing brilliantly. Try their website, you'll see...
thanks but I can only get away for one night as my mum is in hospital for an op that week. I'm coming from exeter which adds an extra hour or so from bristol so prefer the severn or wye

Bluenose

Reaction score
thanks but I can only get away for one night as my mum is in hospital for an op that week. I'm coming from exeter which adds an extra hour or so from bristol so prefer the severn or wye

Do a Wye day ticket search.

Failing that, the towns suggested above on the mid-Severn are probably your best bet. There may be areas lower down in worcestershire that will give you a good chance, but I think the middle river is more prolific than most places.

The Piker

Reaction score
:wIt has been said that there are no guarantees in life except death and taxes...

The Taff holds big numbers of barbel..

The Wye, at Ross on Wye has day tickets,on the bank or from tackle shop..

It is a nice stretch, fish a third of the way out..

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The higher peg numbers on the Belmont section of the Wye holds lots of barbel as does Breinton, the Tennis courts and Bartonsham. Day tickets obtainable before fishing from Woody's tackle shop along with all the information you can handle

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
You could try a commercial water, several of them have Barbel in now <that should raise a few hairs on the back of the necks of the purists> lol :D

preston96

Reaction score
OOOOOOHH.......the Wye, arguably the finest river in Britain, but my oh my can she be moody.

But i have blanked in far worse places!

Coops

Reaction score
A Wye and Usk Foundation stretch of the Wye is the best bet IMHO. You need to pre-book at approx £15 a ticket but as close to 'guaranteed' as you could get as they are not overly fished for yet.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Hello Coops mate, long time no see on here, not much success on the Wye recently I hear? Ne'er mind, the river was low and clear and not the best of conditions for the Wye, now if you had fished a week earlier.......

preston96

Reaction score
Hello Coops mate, long time no see on here, not much success on the Wye recently I hear? Ne'er mind, the river was low and clear and not the best of conditions for the Wye, now if you had fished a week earlier.......

A day earlier on the Lugg would have done.........but Coops cracked it for his first visit...........but he put a net across to stop em moving upstream! :wh

redalert06

Reaction score
The higher peg numbers on the Belmont section of the Wye holds lots of barbel as does Breinton, the Tennis courts and Bartonsham. Day tickets obtainable before fishing from Woody's tackle shop along with all the information you can handle
thanks for the advice we have phoned Woody and will be driving up tomorrow to try on Monday/Tuesday on the Belmont section, can't wait!

Coops

Reaction score

Hi Graham, I don't post much nowadays but I am often doing a lurk in the background....;)

The Wye certainly was a challenge and it's always the way "that you should have been here yesterday..." But we didn't care, it was more about the social than the fishing. We just caught the Lugg with a bit of water on still and it was nice to get a couple from a new river. Brummie really cocked his swim up, gave him the best one too.....:wh

preston96

Reaction score
Hi Graham, I don't post much nowadays but I am often doing a lurk in the background....;)

The Wye certainly was a challenge and it's always the way "that you should have been here yesterday..." But we didn't care, it was more about the social than the fishing. We just caught the Lugg with a bit of water on still and it was nice to get a couple from a new river. Brummie really cocked his swim up, gave him the best one too.....:wh

Kent Tit! :D

Steve King

Reaction score
The Belmont Hotel just outside Hereford sells day tickets:

http://www.belmont-hereford.co.uk/

Not bad looking swims either! I have not actually fished there, but I did stay there prior to fishing a rather exclusive and private stretch with a well known angler! I did have a good look around the swims at the Belmont though and made a promise to myself to return and fish there

Last edited:

redalert06

Reaction score
we stayed at the belmont, fished the opposite bank hereford ticket yesterday and had 6 barbel, 2 chub, fished the belmont hotel side today and only managed 1 barbel, 2 chub. river low and clear but well chuffed to have caught our first barbel!

the belmont website stated 40 pegs, bullshit! maybe 7-8 you can fish a few more you might be able to get down to but they couuld really do with being cut out properly.