Stoves

• Thread starter Sir Steven Blanksalot
  • Start date
S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Can anyone recommend a good reliable stove for about ?30? I dont know wether to get a gas or unleaded one, but it has to be compact and lightweight!
Please help!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Steve, I was advised to take a look at the Coleman Dual Fuel Two Burner Stove that
Uses Coleman Fuel or Unleaded Petrol. I took a look, then bought it, ok a little bit more than what you want to spend, but this will truly last you. Retails at ?47.95 from camping shops, alternatively pay around ?70 through your local tackle dealer! wahaa!

Link Here and scroll down:
http://www.pjcamping.com/stoves.htm

A

Alan Sweeting

I bought a Coleman Sportster about 10 years ago and replaced it last year for an identical one for ?25 from Index catalogue shop at lot cheaper than the tackle shops for the same stove.

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Is the sportster the one that runs on both unleaded and gas? Are they any good?

D

Dave O'L

Sir,
I have a Zenith Stove by GoGas. ?45 from Blacks.
Packs away in pouch (that can attach to belt) to 6.5"x6.5"x2.5", weighs 1lb 4oz. When opens like a book, v.stable & comes with a removable windshield. Has 3 adjustable little legs.
Works by screwing gas cylinders to hose, sits away from stove. Buy self closing cylinders, fit a big one for long sessions, small ones for cup of tea - short ones.

D

Dave O'L

Aaaaaaah just realised I'm on the carp forum. Sorry I'm leaving now! ;)

S

Steve King

I've had a Sportster stove for the past 4 years and have no complaints at all. My mate has an identical model which needed a spare part and that was supplied quickly by K2 in Lincoln. As Stuart suggests, do try camping shops or Argos - they are often cheaper than your local tackle shop.

A

andrew jackson

I have a sportster in fact I have two, one of them is 9 year old and I have only had to replace the generator once in all that time. Give them a drop of redex and keep them well pumped and they are superb. I also have the double burner for longer sessions they are also great, and if anything a little more controlable than their smaller stable mates. I like the idea of being able to scource the fuel 24/7 from any petrol station.

S

Steve King

The convenience of being able to buy fuel 24/7 is indeed a great advantage - I've had to drive miles and try umpteen shops before now in search of the right size gas cylinder.

A

Anthony Coser

I got a Coleman cannister stove(one where the burner is separate from the cannister)from a local caravan store it was only ?25 it came supplied with a small cannister that has lasted three weekends,boils a kettle of water in no time,Coleman Summit stove i think

M

Mick Bird

i inherited a coleman sportster from a friend while we were fishing at sapphire a couple of months ago, he said it was leaking and if i wanted to fix it i could have it, so with this in mind i phoned coleman uk and they explained what to do to rectify the fault, and if that did'nt work they would look into it closer. Coleman sportster stoves come with a lifetime warranty so in my opinion they are ideal for short sessions for brewing-up on. ther was nothing wrong with this one and it is my second one that i have owned i sold my last one a mistake !

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Sorry, let me retract my advice. Don't take a stove, take a 'Warren'. The only problems I've found with the Warren is that they are very unstable on the legs provided, they tend to leak gasses, you don't need to turn them up for more heat as they are set on auto loud, they burn your food, but, do fold away into a great entertainment unit!

Although very strange in colouring, they do go on and on for hours!

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Thanks for the help! I have just got a Sportster II and am very pleased with it! Can anyone recommend a bag for my stove and cooking equipment, do Coleman do a case for there stoves?

A

andrew jackson

The sportster used to come with a plastic case. I presume they no longer supply these to cut costs. You could either contact coleman and ask if they sell them seperate, or put an add in the classified's to see if any one has got a spare.

D

Dave O'L

Now of course if you had bought the Zenith, rather than some trendy stove, you would of had a little pouch, to go on your belt, supplied to put it in! ;)

S

Steve Bundock

Been using a Coleman Peak 1 stove for a number of years now, exactly the same as the Sporster apart from the size of the tank (Sporsters have a larger capacity).
Good advice about adding a little Redex to keep blockages occuring in the generator, but if this does happen, don't worry, spare parts are readily available and pretty easy to replace.
Used to take a gas double burner with grill coupled with a 15lb bottle!! God only knows how I got it all down to the lakeside!! Found with this that during winter, the pressure in the bottle was reduced quite a lot, resulting in a tiny flame that wouldn't even burn yourself let alone boil a kettle!! Thats the true advantage of a duel fuel cooker, keeps going properly in those cold winter months!!

D

Dave O'L

Ah but if you have a ...........you can turn the bottle upside down - can even fry chips???? ;)