A Special Brace of Trout

Muffin

Reaction score
Wow Neil, great work!

That will take some beating, they are some of the best looking big trout I've ever seen.

Many Congrats and look forward to the next episode of your fishing adventures.......

Lark

Reaction score
Great article Neil - the art of fluff-chucking is lost on me but that sounds like a day-and-half. What a result, well done....... Rubbish pics again I notice!! ;-)

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic Neil. Days like that are special and remain with you forever

dezza

Reaction score
Well done Neil.

Now there are many who think that the catching of big trout from places like Avington and Dever Springs is easy. Oh no it isn't!

Sure you can catch the run of the mill 5 and 6 pounders, but targeting the biggies takes a lot of skill, patience and self control.

For example, how many anglers would give slack line to a trout that had just mouthed your fly so that it would spit it out!

preston96

Reaction score
Stunning fish.........you can keep the rainbow :wh but how i envy you that brown :eek: congratulations on a fine catch.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Pretty well done Neil, good account too, little bit of advice, if you had used some of the brownish, and greenish one's you took out of Mr Jacobs tin, you would have caught some decent ones instead of the mid doubles.

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Gents.

It is a surreal feeling when you're deliberately not fishing for trout averaging around 6lb+, not even casting a line, just watching them swim by (learning a lot tho!). I reckon you also need a certain mindset to just stand there, not actually fishing, having paid a small fortune for the ticket, and watch what are normally stunning trout "parade" in front of you, without a fish "in the bag". Saturday was the first time I actually did all of that for basically the whole day and it obviously paid dividends in a stunning way. Crazy, but it really is the only way of improving your chances of the really big fish (unless you get really lucky). I can't describe the feelings I had when the fish finally went for the fly, fortunately the striking arm was on auto pilot!

Both the fish are awaiting a trip to the smoker, can't wait to taste the difference between the brown and rainbow.

Thinking about it, I had a four fish ticket! They still owe me for two more!!

:cool:

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

I also meant to thank Graham.

Thanks Graham!

I sent the article to him just after 7pm last night and it appeared on the site just after 6am this morning! Talk about instant publication!! He's just too good for this site!
:D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well Done!

What a cracking brace of trout Neil.

Those Avington fish seem to have an instinct for avoiding an anglers proffered fly, but what a great place to fish and for you such super rewards for some great angling.

Not sure about the coffee though, if it were me I'd have been in the clubhouse with a large glass of the amber falling-down fluid, or two.

Reaction score
That's some cracking angling Neil.

You'll have to bring your lucky fly rod next time your down my way.

Reckon you'll have a big zander (or even two) :)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I went again today and completed a sort of "Treble". After nearly two hours of watching and fishing, I eventually fooled another big trout. This time it was a "Blue" and at 14lb 08oz it beat my previous best (from Press Manor) by over 13lbs! :D

picture.php

:D