Hook holds

Shine

Reaction score
Most of the time when I hook a carp its in the side of the mouth. Why is it on some dvd's they are always going on about the all important hook hold being bang in the middle of the bottom lip. Is there less chance of a hook pull, not so much damage to the fish or just a fashion thing?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Most of the time when I hook a carp its in the side of the mouth. Why is it on some dvd's they are always going on about the all important hook hold being bang in the middle of the bottom lip. Is there less chance of a hook pull, not so much damage to the fish or just a fashion thing?

Perhaps they say it just to annoy the hell out of Anglers who always hook them in the Scissors, cause then they think, sh!t what am i doing wrong :D

If you hook it, catch it, land it, un hook it, and return it unharmed, what does it really matter?

Tight Lines :D

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
They are rig-tarts, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean that they want their rigs to do the same thing every time on every take.

Also a middle lip hook-hold is more secure the the scissors, with a scissor hook-hold there will be more chance of the fish shaking the hook by changing its direction in the water. Only makes a small difference I should think though, and even less with barbed hooks.

Shine

Reaction score
They are rig-tarts, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean that they want their rigs to do the same thing every time on every take.

Also a middle lip hook-hold is more secure the the scissors, with a scissor hook-hold there will be more chance of the fish shaking the hook by changing its direction in the water. Only makes a small difference I should think though, and even less with barbed hooks.

Cheers Paul :w Just the answer I was looking for. That's another 'I wonder why' off my mind

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
i think frothey means that if the carp picks up the bait and rights itself, then turns away, hook heads to middle of bottom lip. if it picks it up and turns before righting itself, the hook is pulled towards the scissors. it all depends on the angle as the carp moves from picking up the bait.

i prefer a bottom lip hook hold, but only as it is a firmer hold, more meat for the hook to bed into, but i'm certainly not concerned if i hook them in the scissors. too many other factors come into play to expect the same hook hold every time IMO.