why are there so many giant anglers???

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
just a little rant, as i've once again found myself looking at pictures here and there, and thinking to myself, he must be a bloody big bloke. some of these fish i see in pictures, carp in particular, judging by the angles, must be shaped like catfish, ie wider than they are tall, as i often see pictures of 20lb carp that look like 12lbers, and "30's" that look no bigger than my own pb of 22lb.

now i realise that pictures are not all that accurate for gauging size, and you do get some fish that seem very heavy or very light for their size, but sometimes they just look so far wide of the claimed weight, you have to wonder who they think they're fooling.

any angling times readers, look at pictures 20-22 on page 43, is the guy in the middle a giant or what? based on the size of the hands in the photos, does the one in the middle really look 8lb heavier? i know people have different sized hands etc etc, but i cant help thinking he's taking the ****!

just give accurate weights please chaps, as there are also a few pics floating around on here that make me think "sod off and buy some real scales".

rant over, thanks for listening

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I'm 7 foot 2, i weigh 23 stone and i have hands like a pair of shovels, i take a size 18 shoe and i eat billy goats when they cross over bridges.
My hands are so frigging big i have to use my wifes finger to pick my nose.
And as for accurate scales, what a load of twaddle and a waste of money, i caught a roach the other week, looked at it, picked it up and thought that's at least 80lb.

Tight lines :D :j

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Interesting point you have there Ben. I have often felt that in my own case, my pictures don't seem to have the impact evident in friends shots of fish. I put that down to my previous hobby of powerlifting. For several (ten) years, I was walking around weighing over seventeen stone, with a 55 inch chest, and upper arms measuring over 20 inches around. Hardly conducive to getting the best out of trophy shots of fish. Occasionally my mates would hold one of my fish for comparison and the differences were startling, so it does happen.

But one thing I do object to is the ''Banana Fingers'', so evident in some pictures in the magazines and weekly's, where the captor is grinning into the camera, and almost pushing the fish out to arms length. Difficult to swallow sometimes, when you're aquainted with the individual shown in the picture. (Ah that's life I suppose).

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Strangely enough Ben I saw that pic and thought exactly the same thing! I sometimes smile when I'm in the tackle shop and hear people who regularly catch fish way over my best from local rivers. The fact is that many anglers don't carry scales and have no idea how heavy a fish really is. The fact is that carp become 'twenties' at around 15lb and barbel become 'doubles' at around 8lb. Just take the terms as being descriptive of a godd fish and don't get hung up on their literal meaning.

I suppose I now gone and blown what little street cred I had by admitting that not only did I read AT this week but I looked at the pictures in the back. :eek:

Good article by Mr Bowler though!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Some of these carp are like footballs too. Those italian mirrors for example. They may be short but they do weigh up heavy.
Then you get the long impressive ones: I had a common last week I was sure was close to 30 and it turned out to be 23.

r1paul

Reaction score
It doesn`t only apply to handheld tropy shots , I found a photo of me fishing at a lake , in the photo the water looked huge , when i twigged where it was , it turned out to be at the Gold Vally FM fish-in last year .:D

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
The focal length of the lens also makes a difference to how large the fish appears on the photograph. also the depth of field gives the illusion that the fish is much larger than it actually is, as the background detail is out of focus.

Not that I would stoop to such levels myself. Her, humph.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hmmm?
Another problem that the BRFC has to deal with...

From my point of view, I consider it a joke and there's only one person you're kidding.......
Yourself......

If it's 1.15 it's 1.15.....end of!

dezza

Reaction score
Seriously it's possible to make a good fish look huge or quite modest by the focal lenngth and position of the camera lens as Ray says.

If you want to make the fish look the size it is, use a lens of between 55 and 80 mm. Wide angle lenses ie: 35 - 18mm and smaller, can make the fish look ridiculously big.

Old **** Walker had a major problem with trophy shots. Not only was he a big man, he had the biggest hands I have ever seen on any person. His fingers were truly like sausages.

Shine

Reaction score
Hmmm?

From my point of view, I consider it a joke and there's only one person you're kidding.......
Yourself......

100% agree there Steve.
I've seen it a few time where someone's scales are about 5lb out or they guess its a 15lb carp when it would be pushing a double.
If I caught a 19lb 15oz carp then that,s what it is.

Cakeys mirror carp is brill. I want one.

Muffin

Reaction score
Hmmm?
Another problem that the BRFC has to deal with...

Yourself......

1.15, I'd be bloody over the moon...............

Cakey

Reaction score
for those wondering ....my mirror carp
weighed in at £40
picture.php