General Advice about lines etc

dazdidge

Reaction score
I consider myself to be a reasonably experienced angler, having started at the age of 6 and now in my early 40's, but all these new lines that keep appearing have me slightly confused.

I am a "genearlist" i.e. just enjoy fishing for what it is, and enjoy catching anything that takes my bate. I tend to fish the feeder more than the float but have reels for each purpose.

For the bigger stuff I use the recognised brands such as Korda Adrenaline and tend to use fluorocarbon hooklengths most of the time. I also have a couple of spools filled with braids and Krystonite.

What I want to know is for lower B/S lines is it worth using the new low stretch lines such as Greys G-TEC or should I just stick with the usual ultima?
Obviously low stretch should offer advantages when ledgering, but what about float fishing?
I currently use Drennan Float fish for float fishing.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I use Maxima Chameleon for my mainline and currently i use Middy Lo viz for my hooklengths.
If you can get the same breaking strain line with a lower diameter it has got to be advantageous.
But for me, i will stick to what i know and trust as it gives me confidence. :D

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I'm a fan of low diameter lines for my 'general' fishing - chub, roach, perch, bream. my float fishing and general ledgering reel is loaded with 6lb and 8lb Okuma Sensitec which is a low diameter line and gives me about the equivalent of 4lb and 6lb Maxima.

My take on this is that it's always best to have slightly stronger line, just in case.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Personally I am not a fan of low diameter mainlines preferring to fish a line with a bit of stretch in it but I have recently changed my hooklength line to the Shimano silk shock line which is in my opinion the best hooklength line on the market. I have miked it and it is exactly the diameter that it states and it is has almost zero memory and feels absolutely spot on, it is also the choice of most of the top match anglers as well I have found out.

I used it as a mainline for tench on Horseshoe last year at (9lb b.s. and if I were ever going to use a low diameter line as a reel line this would be the one I would choose.

dazdidge

Reaction score
I prefer a clear line. All this rubbish about red line disappearind underwater is a load of rubbish. I dive occaisionally and red turns black underwater. And if red disappears why does matt hayes rant about red maggots being the fishes favourite colour?

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
For no other reason than I got given some, I've become a big fan of Berkley Ironsilk. It's fairly low stretch, seems to have little memory and has a dull finish. For legering, I'd back it against any line. And it's cheap as chips which means I'll have no qualms about replacing it when it looks tatty

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I like low diameter line but as mentioned it's only a lower diameter because it's pre-stretched, however I use it on pole rigs as the elastic is the shock absorber and the breaking strain is still appropriate for my target, hooklengths are either pre stretched mono or fluorocarbon.

I like Fox Micro Plus, it comes with a matching spool of hooklength material but recently I've found Shakespeare Superteam AML line (also comes with matching 25m spool of hooklength material) is an excellent product with consistent diameter.

For feeder fishing I use braid but waggler and stick fishing I still use standard mono with a bit of give, it's all down to personal choice really.