Winter Footwear

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Which Footwear would you recommend for those colder months when we go fishing?
Ideally they will have to be warm, durable, water proof and comfortable.
I usually wear a good pair of Walking Boots, they are tough, durable and waterproof but on them really cold days they don't keep my feet very warm.

Tight Lines :D

al-samak

Reaction score
Which Footwear would you recommend for those colder months when we go fishing?
Ideally they will have to be warm, durable, water proof and comfortable.
I usually wear a good pair of Walking Boots, they are tough, durable and waterproof but on them really cold days they don't keep my feet very warm.

Tight Lines :D

I fancy some of THESE.

Rickrod

Reaction score
derri boots have kept my feet toasty even when snow has been on the ground all day

Eddie Hirst

Reaction score
I love my deri boots and most shop sell them for £30 now, On my second pair now after the liners died after 3 years. Very warm and comfortable

Rickrod

Reaction score
your feet would kill anything ed

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
I like to wear sandals (jandals as we call em down here...) if its a really cold winter i might go as far as a pair of light trainers with thin cotton socks...but has to be really cold for that ;o)

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Cheap rubber wellingtons bought a size too big, thick pair of cotton hiking socks with a pair of thick woollen socks over the top.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thank you for your suggestions.
I will browse the Derri Boots and the Skeetex Boots on the web to compare, but please do keep the suggestions coming in. :D

Matthew White

Reaction score
Be careful with the Sundridge if you are walking any distance, they are not that comfortable I have been told.

I bought a pair of TFG thermal boots a couple of seasons ago and cant reccomend them highly enough. Waterproof and very warm and great on wet slippery banks. I have suffered with very cold feet in the past but not since wearing these.

Matt

Reaction score
I wear a pair of Muck Boot Derwent Neprene Wellies. See here.

I can't recommend them enough. No need to go up a size. Room for extra thick warm winter socks, but the boot is shaped for a nice snug fit. Easy to walk in and doesn't slop around.

I must say they were one of my best buys. Muck boots also do some more robust/more insulted boots, but more expensive.

One of the keys to keeping your feet warm is make sure that sweat is wicked away from your skin. Wool or some special synthetic blends will wick moisture away helping to keep your feet warm. However, if you wear cotton next to your skin then expect cold feet. Cotton holds moisture. Similarly, if your boot is breathable (leather, gortex, neoprene) then your feet will stay warmer.

Last edited:

Muffin

Reaction score

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
Skeetex FIELD boots --(Not the ordinary Skeetex boots) are really good ---I've used them for years ....
They have removable/replaceable thermal liners and a thermal innersole

field.gif

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I tried the skeetex field boots but they split too easily and the only bit that's waterproof is the lowest part of the foot.
I currently have some Brasher jobs which are good for when there isn't snow and ice about.
Matt Corker, what models are the more insulted ones and who's insulting them ?

Islander

Reaction score
boots

Been using Skeetex for years, they feel a bit " clumpy " at first but after half an hour you don't notice them and most importantly they really work.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Personally, I think Stealph has the right formula already but, as matt says, is wearing the wrong socks. I've got a pair of good walking boots, gusseted tongue, breathable, and wear Coolmax socks with them. NEVER had a problem even in the snow this year.
The problem with wellies (lined or otherwise) is that they trap moisture and if anything's going to make your feet feel cold, it's wet skin.