Robson Green....

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Who saw Robson Green shooting carp with a bow???

What are you carp fisherman's opinions of this??

I know in Australia they pay people to shoot Carp with a Bow and Arrow as they are considered vermon, and in a lot of states, it is illegal to return a Carp to the water if you catch one "i only know because i saw it on a Rex Hunt show".

Tight Lines :D

noknot

Reaction score
Never seen it, never want to! But I cant see a real Carp angler ever doing this regardless of which country and their Laws!

dazdidge

Reaction score
out there they're considered pests. Although alien to us its just another form of pest control. Not many other countries feel like we do about carp - when I lived in Germany we ate carp (only once as it tasted like mud, and it was shop bought). Have a look in Billingsgate Market - you'll see mirror carp for the table there.

noknot

Reaction score
Yes John, I do understand this, but my point was that a real Carp, or angler would not entertain this type of hunting.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I would if it was the law.
I have seen waters in England where the owner said, that if anyone caught a Pike they were not to put it back in the water and the Pike were killed.
Rightly or Wrongly, if that's the Law or the fishery rules, you either don't fish them or you fish them and abide by the Rules or the Laws of the Land.

In Queensland you will be hit with a $150,000.- fine if you are caught releasing a goldfish, or even a tiny guppy, in a waterway. Releasing a carp or even possessing a carp, even a dead carp, will cost you the same.

Imagine in this country if you were hit with just a £15,000 fine if you were caught either illegally putting fish in or taking fish out of a waterway. I am sure that this would certainly deter a lot of people from doing it or thinking about doing it.

Last edited:

noknot

Reaction score
I would if it was the law.
I have seen waters in England where the owner said, that if anyone caught a Pike they were not to put it back in the water and the Pike were killed.
Rightly or Wrongly, if that's the Law or the fishery rules, you either don't fish them or you fish them and abide by the Rules or the Laws of the Land.

In Queensland you will be hit with a $150,000.- fine if you are caught releasing a goldfish, or even a tiny guppy, in a waterway. Releasing a carp or even possessing a carp, even a dead carp, will cost you the same.

Imagine in this country if you were hit with just a £15,000 fine if you were caught either illegally putting fish in or taking fish out of a waterway. I am sure that this would certainly deter a lot of people from doing it or thinking about doing it.

I am totally aware of their laws, we are talking about BOW SPEARING!

noknot

Reaction score
"Who saw Robson Green shooting carp with a bow???

What are you carp fisherman's opinions of this?? "

Original post and topic of the thread.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Did i deviate from the original thread ................. oh dear, i will duly reprimand myself so as not to offend anyone ............... there that should appease one :D

dazdidge

Reaction score
Yes John, I do understand this, but my point was that a real Carp, or angler would not entertain this type of hunting.

I don't have a problem with it as the carp are causing serious ecological damage and need to be culled. Its a selective method and most other ways such as trapping and poisoning would inevitably hurt the native species.

Is it ok to bow or spear fish other fish species then? Just because they're carp doesn't make them any different in that country, they're still vermin.

I'm not saying i would shoot arrows at carp, and certainly not in the UK, but I have spear fished for sharks and reef fish in Belize, Kenya and the Gulf and to be honest its great fun. Everything I hit was eaten. Spear fishing is in my opinion the same as bow fishing, just with bigger arrows!

dezza

Reaction score
Apart from other things, carp in Australia have been responsible for the gradual demise of one of Australia's most prized game fish, the Murray Cod.

It is pityful to see what carp can do in certain waterways in terms of stirring up the bottom. Predatory fish cannot see to hunt in turbid water. I have seen this happen in South Africa on many waters.

It's easy to sit in England and criticise the killing of what might be one's favourite species. The answer is to go out there and see the damage that has been done by carp. You'll soon change your mind.

Cakey

Reaction score
Carp in France are put to work ,they aint stocked for anglers !
bow fishing for carp is a way of life in certain countries so let it be

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
i've seen videos of people bow fishing for them asian silver carp jobbies on youtube, now that looks like fun, if i'm honest. they're just jumping around all over, and you just fire away. Nice!

they can't be described as anything other than a pest, they're like the top-mouth gudgeon, they devastate the populations of all other species in the water by prolific breeding and wiping out the food before anything else gets it. they need to be killed, so why not have a bit of fun doing it? that probably makes me sound inhumane, but we do it with rabbits. they need keeping down, so we shoot them, or go ferreting. effective, and you can't tell me that people don't enjoy it while they are doing it.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
i've seen videos of people bow fishing for them asian silver carp jobbies on youtube

There's a video of people hunting Asian Carp Jobbies on youtube?
Do they eat the Carp Jobbies after they have killed them?
Are Carp's Jobbies a delicacy then in Asia or an Aphrodisiac (or how ever it is spelled)

delphi 73

Reaction score
Them there asian carp are a serious problem in the usa! They need to wipe them out as they cause major ecological damage.

To the thread stater - would you kill rats that are in your garden? Carp, after all are only fish - no more or less special than a little perch that pesters you when fishing maggots or the salmon in the supermarket.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I was talking to a salmon angler recently on the banks of the river Tweed; he recons its illegal to return any coarse fish to the river. Apparently they cause damage to the salmon stocks. What ffffin damage coarse fish can do to a rivers salmon stocks in and just above the tidal limit I fail to see. The discussion did get quite heated.

He said that he also fishes the Tyne for salmon (now rated the best in the country for salmon) and I asked him why the rivers chub, roach and dace hadn't had an affect on that rivers salmon stocks :rolleyes:

Last edited: