The ABU Closed Face Reel - A Love Affair.

Reaction score
I have an ABU 501. It's a great reel. I've had it for 25 years and would never sell it. I made a spare spool for it out of PEEK - a lot tougher than the original more brittle plastic used.

Right now I need some chenile for the edges of the spools. Does anyone know where I can get it? Tackle shops used to sell the stuff, but I can't find it these days.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Right now I need some chenille for the edges of the spools. Does anyone know where I can get it?

Pick a thread or two out of your grannie's door curtain or chenille table cloth. That's what it was made into most of the time.

I'd forgotten to add a last photo. Had a bit of trouble finding after I'd loaded it to the site, but it's on there now - at the bottom.

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

I couldn't argue with the "love affair" after all I have 4 501's still in use today - lovely reels.

I'll give you a tenner for one of them Peter. That's all I gave for the last one. - insert stupid smilie thingy .

Reaction score
Woody

Just seen the last photo. I have an ABU Cardinal Gold MAX (its got the gold plastic bit on the bottom like the one in your photo). I still use it for most of my float fishing.

Chris Frankish 2

Reaction score
That brought some fond memories flooding back.

Just had the one 501 which I later sold to "upgrade" to the newer Daiwa 125m (which I still have) which wasn't as good or as nice to use IMO

Steve King

Reaction score
I always wanted an Abu closed face reel, but when they were alll the rage I could not afford one!

I bought the 507 MK2 and like most people I found it horrid! At first it was OK, but then evolved into "Tanglemaster MK1"!!

I sold it to a mate who was going to try it for spinning - the theory being is that it was a modified spincasting reel and so it might be better with thicker lines.

I ended up buying a French made closed face reel about 10 years ago (I have forgotten the make, but it was distributed by VMC). A very reliable reel that has never let me down and never needed more than a clean and a drop of oil and a light smear of grease in the right place.

I still have a hankering for a Swedish made Abu though....

supersquirrel

Reaction score
I dont have an ABU but I use the Dawia Harrier 125 for all my float work( well with line up to about 4lb). Ive never understood why people dont use closed face reels more, as I personally find them so much easier to get on with. Ive had mine for 12 years now and it still works as good as when I first bought it!!

slime monster

Reaction score
The 506 was a reel that helped me win a bit of money years ago but against the grain it was still water speed fishing and canal work ,I just have never got on with closed faced reels on rivers .

klik2change

Reaction score
I always wanted an Abu closed face reel when I was a kid in the 60s. One of my friends had one, one of my uncles had one - and he had a nice Mitchell as well. I was envious, but in a friendly way. I've just recently bought a 704. I had a quick go with it, but the conditions were wrong - during the heavy storms a couple of weeks ago. I am going again next week and I will take it with me for another try ... should be interesting.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I started Coarse fishing rather late, and i have never used a closed face reel, i never saw or understood the benefit of it for the type of fishing i did.
I've never used a centre pin reel either, i guess rather foolishly i thought of it being a bit old fashioned.
I have owned several ABU rods, but i never bought the reels as i never understood the numbers like the 704, 506 etc in relation to the size of the reel, were as the reels i use these days are either mostly 30's or 40's and i know exactly how they relate to the type of fishing i would be using them for. I still wouldn't know how to use a closed face reel or a centrepin, they are both totally alien to me.

Tight Lines :D

preston96

Reaction score
I still often couple my late Dad's 506 to a 13ft float rod on my trotting days.......my Mom and myself bought it for one of his birthdays years ago.

I had a motive for getting it him then......now it is still his and everytime i use it i think of him.

Shame we usually blanked together, though that may have had something to do with the eating, chatting and drinking we caught up on. :rolleyes:

klik2change

Reaction score
SV, when you get a look at a closed face reel you will be really surprised to see how it works. the mechanism is very odd, totally unlike the standard fixed spool reel. They are brilliant for trotting, though. To get a clear idea, you need to be shown by someone who knows. Dave Harrell uses them in his floatfishing films. He talks about them a bit. The design has barely changed, if at all, since the 60s.

Chris Frankish 2

Reaction score
I always wanted an Abu closed face reel, but when they were alll the rage I could not afford one!

I bought the 507 MK2 and like most people I found it horrid! At first it was OK, but then evolved into "Tanglemaster MK1"!!

I sold it to a mate who was going to try it for spinning - the theory being is that it was a modified spincasting reel and so it might be better with thicker lines.

I ended up buying a French made closed face reel about 10 years ago (I have forgotten the make, but it was distributed by VMC). A very reliable reel that has never let me down and never needed more than a clean and a drop of oil and a light smear of grease in the right place.

I still have a hankering for a Swedish made Abu though....

I think I remember the French closed face reel being called the "Crack", seriously:D

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:52 ----------

I dont have an ABU but I use the Dawia Harrier 125 for all my float work( well with line up to about 4lb). Ive never understood why people dont use closed face reels more, as I personally find them so much easier to get on with. Ive had mine for 12 years now and it still works as good as when I first bought it!!

Daiwa Harrier 125, now, thats the one I bought to supercede my ABU. I'm now wondering if I had a 501 or a 506?

It must be my age:)

pauleye

Reaction score
Ive used a 501 for all my stillwater waggler fishing for around 18 years.It has no chenille trim and apart from the line occasionally getting trapped behind the button(operaters fault not the reels) its never let me down. I bought it for 15 quid second hand.I also have a mk2 507 which was forever tangling behind the cup.I remedied this by replacing that horrible rubber finned trim with chenille (craft shops are the best source).I had to trim it quite a bit after id fitted it so that it only just brushes the inside of the cup.It works like a dream, ive had no problems since.Theyre a bit heavier than other abu's but on the right rod it'll balance ok.I use it for heavy wagglers or on rivers for chub when its too windy for the pin,love it!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Abu 501 is my favourite reel of all reels. I still love using it for float fishing and I find it great for night fishing .